Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-28-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Editing cymbals?

Does anyone here have any interesting tips on editing cymbals?

What I'm doing occasionally is, where the cymbals are not actually being played, just removing them altogether, to free up space and create less competetion between frequencies etc.

Then fading them in at parts where they are played.

I use this especiaslly when it was not my self who recorded the music.

I feel this way the snare sits better and the drums seem to have a more defined location in the mix - and when the cymbals come in, the drums open up.

Does any think this editing technique is flawed at all?

Or does anyone have any ways I could better this technique, or have any better ones altogether?

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Editing cymbals?

As far as recording cymbals (sorry I know this was not your original question, but it ties in) I often put up two mics in an X pattern. I am not of the opinion that omitting them from the mix is NOT a good thing. Much of the shimmer of the WHOLE kit is caught up by them. Unfortunately, the very best answer, if recording live drums, is to get a good drummer.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 PM

I know what your saying.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barismanco123 View Post

Or does anyone have any ways I could better this technique, or have any better ones altogether?

Thanks again.
Removing the overheads changes the sound of the entire kit, because overhead mics CAPTURE the entire kit. If you REALLY REALLY want the drum sound to change, cool, but I hope there's an artistic reason for doing so.

Without overheads, a drumkit sounds flat, lifeless. If you WANT flat and lifeless (and I do sometimes), tune/muffle the kit that way.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Actually yes - I was asked for a hip hop Drum sound - using a kit recorded by someone other than me.

Firstly - I bussed the entire kit to capture the rooms tone and the kits movement.

Second - I replaced the kick with a fat beast and put that on its own track.

Third - I replaced the snare too - with a fat one.

I then had the punchy robotic feel of a hip hop kit with the rythm of a live kit.

It sounds a bit strange, but if quantized well, and mixed well it sounds pretty good.

It's not something I've tended to go for - normally I'd just automate the overheads if I wanted to free up a bit of room for other sounds rather than just deleting them.

To be honest with you, the recording was [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] and I had to do a lot of replacements, a hell of a lot of tuning on the vox and what not, but after it came to an end I was quite surprised with the results.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Does anyone here have any interesting tips on editing cymbals?

What I'm doing occasionally is, where the cymbals are not actually being played, just removing them altogether, to free up space and create less competetion between frequencies etc.

Then fading them in at parts where they are played.

I use this especiaslly when it was not my self who recorded the music.

I feel this way the snare sits better and the drums seem to have a more defined location in the mix - and when the cymbals come in, the drums open up.

Thanks again.
Get a one band and roll off the bass until you hear a difference and then roll back some bass but just a little.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 PM

Didnt think of that one.

I did use something similar though with the kit when I bussed, I actually rolled off the bottom end to let the new kick breath.....whilst retaining the organic feel of a live kit.

But in future when I mix normally (if thats possible),I'll try that, as opposed to just lowering volume or what not.....
Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Didnt think of that one.

I did use something similar though with the kit when I bussed, I actually rolled off the bottom end to let the new kick breath.....whilst retaining the organic feel of a live kit.

But in future when I mix normally (if thats possible),I'll try that, as opposed to just lowering volume or what not.....
Here...I'll give you another. Get a two band parametric, and before that put on a real TRANSPARENT compressor like a BF 76, Set the BF 76 (or whatever you like) to give it output gain up and you wiil get headroom and be able to lower your fader and get more, THEN take the parametric and raise the cymbals at bout 8K and set it with a really high band with. Spread that "Q" out so it raises everything above 4k and you will get that great shimmer. You can do the same with the snare. Just set your attacks and releases fast as these instruments have short wave forms. You can set the release longer for the cymbals and their decay is much longer. Then both the snare will have a natural sounding "Pop" and the cymbals will give you that shimmer you were trying to get by recording them by themselves, like they were midi instruments. Hell, you might as well trigger some kits if you want with midi.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 AM

Try adding chorus to the overheads via a send and return.

Gives a nice wishy washy sound.