How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-28-2022, 02:49 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
The Studio Ultra has finally been moved into the studio after several days of installation and configuration and it's running incredibly well. I can't remember having so few hiccups relative to so the amount of work involved and I've been setting up computers since '84. Brilliant machine.

It absolutely screams! Restarts, PT starts, plugin loading, edit window navigation, bouncing, etc. Yes, everything. And CPU loads have remained low though I have yet to do any kind of scientific test (because at this point I don't care -- it's handling my largest sessions with a breeze).

This was a complete fresh installation. I don't know that I could possible have been more diligent with each step, ensuring that everything is honed and operating properly without excess. Nearly every installer came fresh from the developer so that the latest/greatest was always used. The only thing that migrated from the old machine was the sample drive which contains all samples. This made life easier. And iLok was a savior here. The biggest hassles came in dealing with authorization codes and contacting tech support to get them sussed out.

This was done while producing an active gig, I simply installed the necessary elements to get that session open, so I could work, then I continued with the rest as time permitted.

I'll be back with more info as time permits. All in all, I couldn't be happier.
That is awesome news. It's basically what I would expect. What was your old machine?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
That is awesome news. It's basically what I would expect. What was your old machine?

C
A 12-core trashcan MacPro.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:14 PM

The other thing I've been doing is opening ProTools often, after installing a group of plugins, then checking CPU so that I can monitor any hogs. This has been helpful because I've spotted a few. The El Rey compressor, for instance, is nearly unusable in its current form. Add that to a session and CPU usage shoots up by 50% or more. A few others have also been problematic. I typically tossed those in the Unused folder if they weren't mission critical.

100% of hardware and ~97% of software is installed and configured, and the rest will work itself out over time, as I get time. What's left are minor authorization issues or M1 non-compatibilities (i.e. older SSL plugs and Clariphonic).

The main difference when sitting in front of this Mac? I (essentially) wait for nothing to happen. Click a plugin and it shows up. Drag a region and there's zero lag. If I want Weiss eqs on every track, I can now have Weiss eqs on every track, even in the big sessions. PT boots quicker. Sessions load faster.

The computer is now out of the way and I can focus on composition and engineering. And isn't that the point?
Old 06-28-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:

The computer is now out of the way and I can focus on composition and engineering. And isn't that the point?
Yes! I'm very happy for you!

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Not that it matters, but two separate threads were started and the mods combined them into this one. And not that it matters, but my thread asked questions and began the queries whereas the other - yes, 8 minutes earlier, not that it matters -- was simply the announcement. Not that it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2022, 02:14 PM

Sol Levante Mix session hovered around 20%, occasionally hitting 23%. 64 sample Buffer.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:33 PM

That's the stuff I like to hear. Wait until everything is native.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-30-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
That's the stuff I like to hear. Wait until everything is native.
And "wait" we shall, I'm afraid.

It'll be nice to see Native support but I'm honestly not sensing Rosetta here. I guess that's partially because I have nothing to compare it to yet, but I mean that nothing feels sluggish. Nothing seems to be jumping over hurdles.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:20 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
And "wait" we shall, I'm afraid.

It'll be nice to see Native support but I'm honestly not sensing Rosetta here. I guess that's partially because I have nothing to compare it to yet, but I mean that nothing feels sluggish. Nothing seems to be jumping over hurdles.
I've compared Rosetta to Native performance using another DAW. Sure, Rosetta consumes a little more CPU time since it's an emulator. But that tax is pretty low. And the emulation is excellent. All the stuff that works on Intel still works under Rosetta. Bugs are also perfectly translated and they still misbehave in the same way.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Bugs are also perfectly translated and they still misbehave in the same way.
Too bad they're not filtered out in the process.