Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2021, 02:13 AM

Default Ultimate 2021.7 and Kontakt libraries

I have a CPU problem in Pro Tools Ultimate with certain Native Instrument Kontakt Libraries (especially the Guitar libraries) and the the new Teletone Audio library Golden Old Grand.

I've tested the same Kontakt libraries in other DAWS like Logic, Studio One and LUNA, and all libraries work perfectly fine in all sample rates (from 44 to 192). Even at the same time with tons of other cpu heavy plug-ins in the session.

It only happens when working in Pro Tools and already at 44. And even if I only have that one library and one track open with a Playback buffer size at 2048 and so on. I have also tried all combinations of enabling/disabling everything in Playback Engine (dynamic plug-in, low buffer, cache size etc). I can see that especially CPU line 12 is spiking, with I read should be plug-in related? I've tried multicores on/off, X-code cpu multithreading off. I have also trashed the pro tool prefs file.

Have anyone experienced this?

I've created a case at Avid. But I guess being an ExpertPlus subscription member means you are in cue with others. :)
Old 09-29-2021, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Ultimate 2021.7 and Kontakt libraries

I`m struggling with protools and kontakt for years already.. kind of annoying but I got workarounds with freeze etc.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:09 PM

Yes, it is frustrating.

Tonight I tried setting the multiprocessor support to 6 cores (inside the kontakt app) and it works right now. It didn't work yesterday, but now it does. I have read many threads saying that this should be set to 0. Hmm.. this puzzles me.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:26 PM

Don’t want to sound like a broken record but you should really look in to running Vienna Ensemble Pro. Either on the same computer or on a networked computer.
It’s not just Kontakt that misbehaves in Protools, there are many VI’s that don’t run smooth in Protools. VEP has been an industry standard for running VI’s outside of any DAW for well over a decade. Especially in the world of orchestral sample library playback in film and tv scores.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:26 PM

Another vote for vepro. Just don't use VIs inside protools. Vepro is seamless.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2021, 02:46 AM

THANK YOU! I'm at it. Vepro downloaded. Looks promising. Trying not to beat myself for not knowing this before..
Old 09-30-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Another vote for vepro. Just don't use VIs inside protools. Vepro is seamless.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This still boggles my mind. They both even have "Pro" in the name but after all these years, we still have to use another DAW to do anything real with VI's.....

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:49 AM

I bought VE Pro a few years ago. I never found a workflow that I could get in to. All the tutorials I watched were made by orchestral people using 100's of tracks, and when they weren't putting me to sleep, they were confusing me with their configuration complexity.

I write pop and R&B songs. I want to use, maybe at most, 3 or 4 instances of Kontakt, Omnisphere and Keyscape. That's about it.

I know a lot of users sing VEP's praises, but it's easier for me to use VI's in Ableton or Studio One and export the audio to Pro Tools.

That said, if someone could show me a "regular Joe" tutorial, I'd be invested in using it again.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 09-30-2021, 07:15 AM

Kontakt is actually VST in disguise, that is why it feels sluggish. If you host that VST on another host, it works better than their own wrapper that looks like AAX.

Want proof? Move everything out of VST plugins folder, install Kontakt AAX, find that there is Kontakt VST installed.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
This still boggles my mind. They both even have "Pro" in the name but after all these years, we still have to use another DAW to do anything real with VI's.....
Interesting coming from someone who uses 2 software mixers(Protools and UAD Console) to make music