Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Master Plug-in Chain

I ma not a mastering engineer but like many I enjoy trying and always have a pop at it on my own projects and others projects if they insist and dont have the budget for a real mastering engineer.

1:finishthe mix - sleep or whatever to freshen my ears.

2:create a new session and create 1 audio track and 1 master fader.

3:I use the master fader for moitoring and not for FX for the below reasons.
3A:Master faders are post faders and have a 24 bit fixed point.
3B:Audio tracks are pre fader and have a float point of 32 bit in LE and 48 bit in HD.
3C:A master fader analyzes every sample making it more suited for monitoring.

4:On the master fader I put the Waves PAZ analyzer

5:On the audio track I put on first the Waves Q10 and only apply maximum -4db of subtractive EQ - if it needs more than that it needs to be remixed.

6:Compress to increase RMS levels.

7: Look at the PAZ analyzer to see if the mids are well represented in the mix as most playback soucres will have crappy low end if any at all these days.

8:Possibly add a multiband compressor to dip the bottom end down by max 3 db

9:Bounce internally.

10: Possibly use the Mid Side technique to widen the steareo image.

11: After the mix is bounced after the MS technique we are back to 1 audio track - at this point limit using the waves L2 or something of better quality.

12:Add 16bit dither to the audio track and bounce to disc.

After these steps have more or less been followed I may then if I am working on multiple tracks then go into CD Architecht and create a CD and burn from that program.

What sound good sounds good.

If anyone else can say what IO maybe doing wrong there please tell me.

Regards, Baris
Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barismanco123 View Post
3B:Audio tracks are pre fader and have a float point of 32 bit in LE and 48 bit in HD.
Is that right? I thought that only the Pro Tools HD Mixer was 48 bit fixed. I thought all else was 24bit fixed...
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Also I have heard many engineers I know say that if you have control of the mix session, you shouldn't neccessarily need a multiband compressor. Now I'm not making a blanket statement, but if you are lacking a certain area or need to tighten it up, you should do it in your mix session if you have access to it.

Now if you are just a mastering engineer working on a 2 track, then a multiband may be your only help.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 PM

I like to Mix Two Seperate Stereo Mixes for mastering.

For example,

Two Identical 'Master Faders' of the Mix with both faders set to -6dB is Identical to One Master Fader at -0.0dB

Invert the Phase of left and right channels on Master Fader 2
(you should hear nothing)

On Master2 Pan the LEFT channnel RIGHT
Pan the Right channel LEFT

At this point you should have Center Cancellation (Karaoke trick)

On master Fader 2 Set Gain to
-~dB for Original Mix
-18dB for 15% Stereo Spread
-12dB for 33% Stereo Spread
-3dB for 50% Stereo Spread
-6db for 100% Stereo Spread
-3dB for 50% Inverted Spread +3dB gain
-0dB for 33% Inverted Spread +6dB gain

Also on Master2 I like to use Delay (0to 40 SAMPLES) to add subtle roomyness.

On Master Recording, run the mix through a Optical Compander -> Tube Pre -> Analog Graphic 15band EQ w/ spectrum readout (at
conservative settings).

Lets face it digital plugins at the end of the chain is not a good idea IMHO.

michae
myspace.com/miekwavesoundlab
Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Are those percentages a fact or an approximation, and if so how do I convert pan slider numerics to be known as a percentage.......?

Jokes, yeah it's pretty much the MS technique, so cool for dramatically widening the image but it highly depends on the way it was mixed.
But if you know from day one that your gonna be Mastering (trying) then it's great to mix into this kind of 2 track knowing full well it's gonna be wiiiiiiiide!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
Also I have heard many engineers I know say that if you have control of the mix session, you shouldn't neccessarily need a multiband compressor. Now I'm not making a blanket statement, but if you are lacking a certain area or need to tighten it up, you should do it in your mix session if you have access to it.

Now if you are just a mastering engineer working on a 2 track, then a multiband may be your only help.
YESSS!!! I do "mastering" for literally every project that I do (who doesn't want a radio-friendly mix?). Of course I can't get things quite as loud, but it's close enough that no one has EVER complained, and the mixes come across great on FM radio (2 local stations play my mixes from time to time).

When I first slap on the Massey L2007 Limiter, it becomes very obvious if the bass or kick is too loud or quiet. Without a multiband limiter, I think it would be impossible to get past this point, but since I (gasp) mix AND master IN THE SAME SESSION (don't try this at home kids!), then I can just grab the offending element, and have a balanced, loud mix.

But I don't apply mastering plugs until things are sounding good without them.

Check out myspace.com/theagang to hear my latest. Making a mix survive the myspace music player is on my to do list. Guitars are a bit loud, but that's what the band wanted...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Is that right? I thought that only the Pro Tools HD Mixer was 48 bit fixed. I thought all else was 24bit fixed...
Nope, PTLE is 32-bit float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miek07 View Post

Lets face it digital plugins at the end of the chain is not a good idea IMHO.

michae
myspace.com/miekwavesoundlab
I've never trusted statements like this.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Hey Doc...

What kinda of Frequency Analyzer do you use in ProTools. I'd really like to get one of those for my Master Fader. I've tried a few RTAS freeware versions, and they are lame. So, if you have anything thats not to pocket breaking, but works pretty good on RTAS.

Or are you using TDM stuff.

Thanks man, as always!

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM

I have been using lately Wave Arts Track PLug (you can demo for free for 30 days). It's nice because you can see the analyzer before and after the plug in. I believe that Ozone has one in their demo plug in that can suffice (just make sure everything else is on bypass.)

I would prefer waves (if I could afford a copy for my home).

Sonalksis Stereo Tools has one built in, and I use that for stereo enhancement, so that works well because it also has phase meter and a stereo meter. Really nice mastering toolbox plug in. Even if you don't do any stereo enhancement, it has that wonderful "Mono below" knob which allows you to automatically sum mono underwhatever frequency you set, in case you want to check your mono compatability, and it also has the typical M-S buttons, as well as full mono, and split phase inverts.

So mostly I use one of those. I don't understand why digi didn't give us one as standard, seems like a staple of audio recording to me...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Good stuff man! Thanks for the info. I will check some of that stuff out.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs