Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Arrow The Loudness War debate...

http://www.moozek.com/2008/02/03/the...war-oh-please/

Was anyone here "offended" by this article about alternative views on the so-called loudness war?
I want to bring this discussion to the DUC.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Unhappy Its the truth!

Well again, as an old HiFi enthusiast, I must say its a tragic how non dynamic material often is today. But hey, to reach out on the radio or TV with a wall of sound, thats what it´s all about for some. Most tragical is when Jazz albums are getting to compressed and limited.. Shame shame.. It´s like, if you have not used the compressor and the limiter, you have not done your job.. Shame shame...

Drummer of Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom Nouveau Vintage Natural - Zildjian K Custom Dark - Sabian HH

Macbook (2009-01) 2.0 GHz 4 GB
Intel Quad (2007-07) Q6600 2x250 4 GB
PT 8
Digirack 002
Monitors: JM-Lab Electra 906 & SW900 driven with Pioneer Reference M-90

"Semiprofessional user"
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM

I use compression and limiters EVERY time I master, but for the reasons they were originally intended. A good limiter can bring up the volume in lower passages making it more radio friendly and compressors can help push down that certain note in your guitar solo or even-out your kick drum and vocals. Using these Dynamic Processors sparingly will improve your overall mix. But in my case the moment my material starts sounding squished or lacks air, I back off!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Re: The Loudness War debate...

Been an ongoing talk for sometime now.

http://turnmeup.org/

Highly recommend reading. Like a grammy winner M.E. once told me. Want it louder..... Turn up the volume knob.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM

A sentiment echoed in this article by Rip Rowan.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
A sentiment echoed in this article by Rip Rowan.

Cheers,
Rip and I are heads and tails of the same coin on this subject
I'm a writer for his blog, ProRec:
http://prorec.com/Articles/tabid/109...-of-Music.aspx
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM

Lets not overlook the style of most mainstream rock music today. walls of guitars, no dynamics in the composition in the first place...there's not alot of Pink FLoyds around writing beautiful pieces like "Dark Side...."
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLEM View Post
Lets not overlook the style of most mainstream rock music today. walls of guitars, no dynamics in the composition in the first place...there's not alot of Pink FLoyds around writing beautiful pieces like "Dark Side...."
This is the single most intelligent comment I've ever read on this topic. The mastering will follow the music. We can all relax. And if a couple jazz records get messed up along the way, well, so be it. They can always re-master 10 years later.

Wouldn't it be funny if, 10 years from now, Fall Out Boy and Panick At THe Disco release "Dynamically Restored" versions of their albums? :)
Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagzh View Post
This is the single most intelligent comment I've ever read on this topic. The mastering will follow the music. We can all relax. And if a couple jazz records get messed up along the way, well, so be it. They can always re-master 10 years later.

Wouldn't it be funny if, 10 years from now, Fall Out Boy and Panick At THe Disco release "Dynamically Restored" versions of their albums? :)
Thank you guys! That was the whole point of the article. To show that, since the recording media imposes limits on this "tendency", and therefore on the sound quality, it's not WORRYING to the quality of recordings - it just means that, like recordings from 15 years ago today, they will be re-mastered 15 years from now! It's a learning process of the masses, combined with the kind of music that sells today, not the inevitable doom.

Congratulations - you are the first ones to understand. lol
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
Thank you guys! That was the whole point of the article. To show that, since the recording media imposes limits on this "tendency", and therefore on the sound quality, it's not WORRYING to the quality of recordings - it just means that, like recordings from 15 years ago today, they will be re-mastered 15 years from now! It's a learning process of the masses, combined with the kind of music that sells today, not the inevitable doom.

Congratulations - you are the first ones to understand. lol
Hey, thanx for the heads up! I'll stop buying music and wait for the remastered version.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!