Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-08-2001, 04:15 PM

Default export/import Q:

Hi guys,

Many of you often (like myself) create new ides/songs in programs other than ProTools, with the intent to later export either the individual tracks, whole mixed project or even individual loops into PT, for further arrangements, adding MIDI keyboards, better plug-ins, etc.
I was wondering what your different procedures are and what do you find works best?
Do you temporarily export the files to the desktop area in order to import them into PT from there?
Do you get the basic idea down say, in ACID or Reason, then open a new PT session with the same name, go back to the other program and directly export to that PT session's 'AudioFiles' folder, so that they're already contained in the session when you go back to PT?

It seems there could be a proper way to do this in order to avoid having files and copies thereof floating all over the place, in different programs, leading to confusion from poor file management later down the road.
Just curious to see if some of you have pinned down an efficient exp/imp system.

Thanks for any comments ar advice.

pk
Old 10-08-2001, 07:46 PM

Default Re: export/import Q:

?
Old 10-08-2001, 08:24 PM

PK,
Hi. Been away for awhile, but dropped in tonight to start looking around again.

I am no expert at any of this, but I am using ACID to lay down basic drum tracks. Once I get things built up there, using maybe 8-12 tracks in ACID, I mix all that down into a couple of stereo tracks and take it over to PTLE. Then start doing recording of instruments, bass, guitar, what not. This works for me as long as I get the drums right to start.

My problem, at least in my head, is that I'm not sure how to make a big change to the drums and be able to salvage any of the work I've done in PTLE. If I want to record some new drums, then I'm not at all sure of how to get it into PTLE and get everything sync'ed up correctly.

(I haven't actually tried this, I'm just worried about it...)

Anyway, I'm interested, like you, in what others might be doing in this area. There's just no way that I can get a drummer into my house on a regular basis, so ACID is great, with limitations.

Mark
Old 10-09-2001, 09:00 AM

Hi Mark,

thanks for the reply. As far as a rhythm part 'breakdown' or change, I would usually go back to Acid and do my changes there. This would mean a lot of shuffling between the two programs (which bare the same session name and tempo).
I've always advocated the efficiency of doing this but I think after a while, patience begins to wear thin, anticipating DirectConnect support to make PT for PC more integrated.
So all this shuffling is what prompted the thread about file management or 'shuffling', should I say. Basically wanting to know what the path is for the file to be exported and imported between 2 programs.

pk
Old 10-09-2001, 09:57 AM

Yo Pk,

I've made a folder in my audio drive "songs" and each protools song has it's own folder. I use that folder to store files i.e. acid, rebirth in that folder since the audio files (PT) are store in their own subfolder this keeps a pretty clean house. Basicly the song folder contains all the elements for the song.

In addition I create other folders to manage elements that could be used for other songs.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:01 AM

Hi pk and Mark(Where HAVE you been, my friend?).....

Here's what I do. I have created two basic files, one called 'Loops for Roy', and one called 'Roy's Percussion Store'.

Any WAV's I create in Acid(or any such program) along with any loops I may download go in the 'Loops" folder. And all One-Shot samples go in the 'Percussion' folder.

Then, of course I 'import audio' into PT.

Keeps it simple.

But, I must admit, I've only learned the basics of Acid. Many times I find myself just 'playing around' with it, but when it comes down to business, I create the loops myself.

pk,

Gotta ask. I've got PT. I've got Reason. How exactly did you manage to make the two work together finally?

Thanks, Roy
Old 10-11-2001, 10:56 AM

Roy,
it works but the truth is it ain't perfect. You need Hubi's Midi-Loopback Device (which you can download free/or I can email it to you) as a virtual midi port to link the two prgrams. As much as I love my M-Audio card to run Reason, it only has 2 outputs so even while I can hear Reason in PT, I only hear the main outs thru an Aux track. A way around this would be to solo say, the SUB or NN19 track, record it into PT and so on for the rest of the individual tracks.
Once you have installed HUBI's, you select it as the midi port in PT and Reason (usually LB1), PT being the master of course. Also, make sure you have Reason set to 'enable sync', the click enabled in PT and in Operations->"enabled in background".

To sum it up, I was excited to see the two can indeed shake hands, but due to the restrictions, I've come to find it's easier and less headache to just start and finish the song in reason, and then export and add my guitars and whatever live instruments later.
The idea is not in the sink, but not in perfect sync either. I'll keep playing with the whole concept a few more times, in case of epiphanic discoveries.

pk
Old 10-11-2001, 04:35 PM

I usually start with a click track in Pro Tools, which I create by hand from a closed-hi-hat sample... at the desired tempo. What a pain! Then I play guitar with it until I come up with an idea, record some basic guitar loops. I bounce these loops to a folder for the song in my FruityLoops folder (FruityLoops is a killer little "tracker" program, basically a sampler/drum-machine type tool, look it up on the web).

In FruityLoops I create drum tracks, synth lines, and assorted in-tempo noises from a bunch of samples I have. (Sometimes I go to Reason for this; although it's easier to create drum tracks in Reason, it sucks for exporting.) Then I bounce each 4-bar or 8-bar loop to the desktop, launch Pro Tools, and import the loops into PT. I always copy the media into the session's audio files folder... I usually need to do this anyway since Fruity is 16-bit and my sessions are usually 24-bit. Then I mix and arrange, and if I need to I can always go back to Fruity for touchups. The files I store on my desktop are usually trashed as soon as I've imported them, since it's simple and quick to recreate them from Fruity.

What I love about Fruity, besides its killer sample-manipulation features and integrated synths, is that when it exports a 4-bar loop, it doesn't cut off the end of the sample (for instance, a snare-drum decay at the end of a loop). Reason does cut off samples, and you need to be really careful to select a section a little longer than the loop for exporting.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:44 AM

I use ACID to create my drum track first and I include an 8 count click using a closed hi hat one-shot. As I save it to a stereo wave file I sometimes mute all the tracks but the kick and save it, then mute all tracks but the snare and save it, mute all tracks but the stereo toms and simbals and save it. This gives me about 3 stereo wave files that I then import into PTLE. This allows me to control the levels and add specific compression and reverd to each track as needed. If I need to make a change to the drums I go back to ACID, make the changes, save the files again and import them again. I usually drag the plug-ins over to the new tracks from the old ones and delete the old tracks. This works well because you can never tell if the drums are going to be right until you have added the bass, guitars, keys, and vocals anyway. It seems a little cumbersome but I'll take over working with a real drummer anyday. It doesn't smoke or spill beer on your carpet either.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4