Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 03:11 AM

Default no key command while plug In is open

All over sudden a few days ago the following behaviour occured: Every time I have a plug in window open, I can't control PT by key commands anymore. Did I accidently change a setting or something ???
thanx for any suggestion.
Kai
Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 AM

Default Re: no key command while plug In is open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
All over sudden a few days ago the following behaviour occured: Every time I have a plug in window open, I can't control PT by key commands anymore. Did I accidently change a setting or something ???
thanx for any suggestion.
Kai
No setting change would do this. There are just some plugins that steal keyboard focus and PT key commands won't work right or at all when the plugin gui is open. Been this way for ages unfortunately.

QAPLA!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No setting change would do this. There are just some plugins that steal keyboard focus and PT key commands won't work right or at all when the plugin gui is open. Been this way for ages unfortunately.
Yep, just mouse click anywhere on the PT desktop and keyboard focus will revert back to PT. Every time I open Superior Drummer, this happens, I hit the spacebar, nothing happens, and go "&^%*&"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-12-2015, 02:18 AM

ah ok, so I just never noticed before …silly me
thanx for the replies
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM

I agree that it seems to be a relatively new issue that happens randomly and isn't associated with a particular plug-in. Also seeing it on OS 10.8.5 and PT 10.3.8

Waves plug-ins have stolen focus for a long time, but this is a similar but new issue affecting lots of plug-ins.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
I agree that it seems to be a relatively new issue that happens randomly and isn't associated with a particular plug-in. Also seeing it on OS 10.8.5 and PT 10.3.8

Waves plug-ins have stolen focus for a long time, but this is a similar but new issue affecting lots of plug-ins.
It's not that new; been happening for quite a while.

QAPLA!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:55 PM

There are two issues at play. One is related to certain plugins which steal mouse focus due to their programming. It will happen every time. There's also the (seemingly) random issue where focus is stolen by plugins which might typically not behave in this way. That's what some are referencing. I've seen it, too.

Talisker -- which plugins are giving you this issue? The manufacturers might like a bug report. I've reported this to a couple of them and they each said it was an easy fix.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
There are two issues at play. One is related to certain plugins which steal mouse focus due to their programming. It will happen every time. There's also the (seemingly) random issue where focus is stolen by plugins which might typically not behave in this way. That's what some are referencing. I've seen it, too.

Talisker -- which plugins are giving you this issue? The manufacturers might like a bug report. I've reported this to a couple of them and they each said it was an easy fix.
Can't say I've ever had mouse focus stolen. What plugins do this? Maybe I have some and it just never happened to me?

One of the weirdest ones I've had happen is with Blue Cat Audio plugins. If I have the gui open (happens with their metering plugins mostly) and hit the return key to go back to the start of a session it changes presets in whatever BC plugin gui I have open. Shift key for start/stop works okay though.

QAPLA!