Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2018, 12:57 AM

Default Error [MIDIServer patch file, bank, or mode information not...]

I've recently changed setup from windows to mac and I took the opportunity to change from protools verion 10 to 11. My main issue right now, which didn't happened with version 10 is that every time I try to set a pacth from any of my external devices thru a midi track I get the following error:

"MIDIServer patch file, bank, or mode information not available for this MIDI instrument"

For what I've been searching this is a known bug in protools 11 I wonder if anyone with same issue and same version has resolved it. I wrote to Avid but since I don't have a "Avid Advantage Support entitlement plan" they will not give any help or answer.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Error [MIDIServer patch file, bank, or mode information not...]

Unfortunately that is a PT11 bug on the Mac that was not remedied until version 12. Something got hosed in the transition to 64bit. I vaguely remember that if you configured your MIDI patch lists in PT10, they would stick when you upgraded to 11, but you could not set them up/change them in 11. I wrestled with that issue for 18 months before they finally fixed it. I think the best advice at this point is to get current with PT2018. Probably not what you want to hear. PT2018 has a lot of very useful new features, plus you'll get compatible with newer releases of the MacOS,
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 AM

Thank you so much for the answer Chucks, just what I feared. This is such a bummer. I've been working with Protools for almost 20 years either in studio or at home, at the beginning because it was the standard, afterwards because you get used to and lately because I got a nice deal when purchasing PT10/11. I'm afraid time has come to end for me with PT.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 AM

I think you can have both PT10 and PT11 installed on the same machine. If so, try to configure your patch list files in 10 and see if they show up in 11. OTT, if you're using a lot of outboard MIDI modules and keyboards, you really don't have many options if you want to use patch lists. DP probably has the best patch list implementation. PT is good and I don't know about Cubase or Ardour (MixBus), but those are pretty much your only options (you can use patch lists in Logic, but ????). VIs are where everyone else is focused. Unless you've seen something elsewhere that you're attracted to, a PT upgrade is your path of least resistance (learning curve and $$).
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 08-16-2020, 12:03 PM

I posted this in the PT 2018 forum last month and haven't heard a thing. Came across this thread and saw your answer regarding PT 2018. Hopefully you steer me in the right direction. Sorry for the double post, but this is very frustrating,

"When I select and load a midnam file containing 512 patches from an external sound module, the first bank of 128 patches appear but the Bank Select option is disabled. I can load each of the four sets separately but when I change the Patch Name file on another track using the same module with a different channel assigned, the previous tracks change also. I know I've overlooked something and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Everything I’ve read so far says it should be a Go. What am I missing?

I am using Pro Tools 2018.7 on Mac OS X 13.6. The patches were collected from the module using SysEx Librarian 1.4, imported into MIDI Quest Pro 12 which displayed all 4 banks and created the midnam files sent to Pro Tools. The interface is MOTU’s Midid Express XT."

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:11 AM

Hi All - Has this been answered. Anywhere. I have a Roland Integra 7 and created 16 Instrument tracks and want to be able to audition patches within each of the discrete track but encountered the same error. MIDIServer patch file, bank, or mode information not available for this MIDI instrument.

Hunting for the root cause. Is this a PT or Roland issue or even a MOTU Issue. I have also have a MOTO midi express XT.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:02 PM

I don't know very much about this, but from what I do know, I believe you have to have the device created and "connected" in the Apple MIDI Studio. Then, you need the middev file for the device in the proper location. And finally, you need the midnam file in the proper location.