Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-09-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Mackie MCU.. how integrated?

hey... I'm in search for a really good control surface that has the option to have 16 channes with display LCD and every like the MCU. How well does it work with PT and how easy is it to add the extender?

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/index.html
Old 10-09-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Mackie MCU.. how integrated?

The MCU is very well integrated with PT, with access to more functions than the 002 or Command 8. It's a great control surface and I would recommend it highly.

As far as the extender, I'm sure it's easy to hook up. Keep in mind, though, and it's the only considerable minus to the MCU, that it connects via MIDI. So when you add extenders, you sacrifice a sets of MIDI connections. Otherwise, it's fantastic, IMHO.
Peace
Old 10-09-2005, 01:58 PM

hmmm.... So yoru saying it works better then the Command 8? Thanks good too know... And I wonder how well that ProjectMix I/O's control surface will integrate with PTLE.. I know its made for M-Powered.. But if I'm going to spend 1100 on a command 8 or 11 on the ProjectMix I/O and have the option of using it with other programs and having it chained wiht my Digi002.. it might be a better idea...right?

Let me know, Thanks

Jonny
Old 10-09-2005, 07:04 PM

The MCU works fine with PT. It's not as full function in some ways as a Command 8; in some ways it's more.
The main differences are that you can use the extenders to add more fadars; main unit + 3 extenders for 32 channles max. Each extender needs it's own midi in and midi out connection. The Command 8 isn't expandable. However, the MCU works in HUI mode which only allow the Vpots ( knobs at the top of each channel strip) to work sends, pans and plug in parameters from channels that are banked on the main unit. If channels are on an extender, these vpots ( as Mackie calls them) will only adjust pan. This gets a bit annoying depending on how many extenders you have. "Bank" moves channels left or right across the MCU 8 channels at a time. You can move channels 1 at a time with the "channel" button. But past a certain number of extenders, channels, midi channels and auxes, you can only go to the screen and move a fader to get it to the main unit. For this reason alone, I find I can zip around a single MCU without extenders faster than a maxed out 32 fader package. With that in mind a Comman 8 would be better. Except that I take my MCU to various rooms that don't have surfaces for PT. Some are still on PT 5 and Mix+ rigs and I don't believe the Command 8 support less than PT 6.

Also, the ninth fadar on the MCU, a dedicated Master Fader, isn't supported in PT. So this fader does nothing when in HUI mode and PT. It does however work if you run the MCU in it's native mode with something like Logic or Samplitude that has a dedicated master fader in the session. I look at it as a spare should one of the others quit. Or use it when the vocalist keeps saying, " I can't hear myself! Turn me up more!" And I know they're already too loud.