How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-25-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
No thanks! We need a stable Pro Tools and as far as we work we have a great version 2019.12 Ultimate but things can ALWAYS be better but we also need to realize the whole world is awry right now so a few days delay is not gonna kill us even though we have waited 4 months for a dot release

It ”should” be a bit more frequent even if the feature adds are slower. Stability is really important and any addition to Midi is what I would say we all pay for aswell as added features.

I really understand why it takes a bit longer but 4 months!!? Thats a long time!
Of course, it was a joke, because we had talked about several Daw, who each advantaged them.

It feels good to let go a little bit, in these virulent times. If we're here, it's because we love Pro Tools.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-25-2020, 06:37 PM

Agree

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-26-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Of course, it was a joke, because we had talked about several Daw, who each advantaged them.

It feels good to let go a little bit, in these virulent times. If we're here, it's because we love Pro Tools.
Agree.

I do believe the main reason we can get so passionate about it is because we DO love the program and the workflow, and just want it to be the best it can be.

I know there seem to be a lot of haters at times but even then, I think deep down they just want PT to have the features of other DAWs..

Let's face it.. do you really think if PT had midi as good as Cubase and integrated ARA2 or pitch editing and a few other things we have all discussed the last few years, that anyone here would even consider another DAW? It would leave everything else in the dust if Avid caught up, cause the other DAWs simply can't match the GUI and fluent workflow/ease of use. This is why it can be frustrating, cause PT is SO good to actually work with, but it's behind in some important ways.

For me
Elastique PRO as a realtime algorithm in EA which will also make audio quantise a joy.
ARA 2 or even flex pitch using X Form algo.
midi plugins and also midi scripting of some kind, like cubase logical editor for advanced one click macro functions
Sidechain delay compensation for non HDX
64 ins on no HD hardware or even 128 LOL!
Folders (they ARE coming, we've seen it).
Delay comp at 65K for 44.1 sample rate and 128K for 96K sample rate. Basically 4x what it is now. Like other DAWs.

I know all our lists are different, but these are the big ones (IMO) that are in almost all other DAWs that we are missing.. PT is actually ahead in many ways and does things no DAW does but we forget too quickly. That said, if I was Avid i'd be striving to be the absolute best and make anyone who left to go to StudioNone/Creeper/illogic/Poobase rue the day they ever did!

Still, I like to look at the glass half full as pro tools is incredible to work with, everything just flows and is so FAST. :)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:09 AM

Avid Link got the update to 2020.3 so maybe Pro Tools 2020.3 isn't far behind... one can hope!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonsdeejay View Post
I hope the release is coming to town. Just Install AVID LINK 20.3
Maybe soon!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
Avid Link got the update to 2020.3 so maybe Pro Tools 2020.3 isn't far behind... one can hope!
Very Soon!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Agree.

I do believe the main reason we can get so passionate about it is because we DO love the program and the workflow, and just want it to be the best it can be.

I know there seem to be a lot of haters at times but even then, I think deep down they just want PT to have the features of other DAWs..

Let's face it.. do you really think if PT had midi as good as Cubase and integrated ARA2 or pitch editing and a few other things we have all discussed the last few years, that anyone here would even consider another DAW? It would leave everything else in the dust if Avid caught up, cause the other DAWs simply can't match the GUI and fluent workflow/ease of use. This is why it can be frustrating, cause PT is SO good to actually work with, but it's behind in some important ways.

For me
Elastique PRO as a realtime algorithm in EA which will also make audio quantise a joy.
ARA 2 or even flex pitch using X Form algo.
midi plugins and also midi scripting of some kind, like cubase logical editor for advanced one click macro functions
Sidechain delay compensation for non HDX
64 ins on no HD hardware or even 128 LOL!
Folders (they ARE coming, we've seen it).
Delay comp at 65K for 44.1 sample rate and 128K for 96K sample rate. Basically 4x what it is now. Like other DAWs.

I know all our lists are different, but these are the big ones (IMO) that are in almost all other DAWs that we are missing.. PT is actually ahead in many ways and does things no DAW does but we forget too quickly. That said, if I was Avid i'd be striving to be the absolute best and make anyone who left to go to StudioNone/Creeper/illogic/Poobase rue the day they ever did!

Still, I like to look at the glass half full as pro tools is incredible to work with, everything just flows and is so FAST. :)
It's true. If PT advanced on 10 or 12 expected functions, it would crush the market more broadly. I use Cubase because of that, out of obligation.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
I doubt it!

Certainly corona virus has caused Avid to send a lot of folks home, and will definitely slow/delay its release.

Also, and I realized this earlier, for the next update to be truly viable, it can't just have folder tracks. It must have finally converted the Avid Video Engine over to true 64 bit Catalina compatibility too. The next release can not be another half-assed interim update where video usage is not available to anyone on Catalina systems. My guess is that is what the major hold up in the release still is, since they basically have to make they video engine work without any more QuickTime components in it.

So Corona. Quicktime. I now expect at least a mid summer or early fall release.

We're in a new world now and circumstances mean they may not be held by shareholders to some sort of strict quarterly release requirement.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM

Give Avid a break, they only had 10 months since the dev beta release of Catalina to work on the video engine. They need more time, it’s understandable. I need at least four years to complete any task. My clients understand.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
I doubt it!

Certainly corona virus has caused Avid to send a lot of folks home, and will definitely slow/delay its release.
Programming is the sort of work that can easily be done at home, so I would expect that they are still hard at work during this time.