Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 11-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Default MTRX connection issue

Finally got my system all plugged in and ready to configure. Though things aren't looking correct. When I connect to DADman I only get the option to connect to "Digilink device" In the guide that tab shows as PTHD and I would be able to see 2 interfaces. I cant get a signal out and if I go to hardware setup in protools, its shows MTRX 32x32 HDX port 1 and says says this device is handled in dadman as apposed to showing up as I/O.

Mac 12 core trashcan running 10.13.6
MTRX firmware 2.3.1.3
Protools 2018 latest update.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Re: MTRX connection issue

holy moly. Ive been on protools systems since mix days. Installed 100's of systems and Ive never had this much drama getting an audio signal out of a convertor. This is madness.
Can anyone here confirm if when launching dadman your protools interface is showing up as Digilink? Does it normally show Protools HD? Can you see your I/O in hardware settings or does it just show as a generic device? Ive read every guide, searched every forum, and opened a support case with avid and Nothing.

update: So after another reset of the MTRX to factory default Ive managed to get signal out of the MTRX however DADman software is still unresponsive.
Ive learned from talking to another user that showing up AX32 digilink is standard behavior. It just seems like DADman isn't connecting to the MTRX correctly. Making any changes doe nothign andmeters wont show anything. I also have red triangles next to AES input.

Last edited by DHS; 11-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:08 PM

If DADman says Locked and it shows connected from the Device Monitor list, it is connected. Have you read the user manual?

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...on_Guide_B.pdf

Red triangles means nothing is connected to that input. Green circle means you have a valid and sample rate locked signal.

Digilink is the right name for Pro Tools,. Every input/output is named for the connection type. You can configure naming of the ports from the Conf section.

Hardware I/O in Pro Tools shows up as the emulation type as setup in the Conf section of DADman (both ports are setup to MTRX 32x32 for me in Pri/Pri mode)

What Pro Tools version are you on?

Did you setup a Mon yet (read the manual if you haven't)?

Really isn't difficult as long as your remember this is Digital Audio Denmark hardware./software and not Avid/Digidesign.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 11-15-2019, 06:36 PM

Yeah.the confusion here is that it wasn’t passing audio. So I assumed it was user error and started looking for what was wrong. In the west lake video where she’s setting up control room she shows a screenshot of a Mtrx and controlling it from hardware set up. That has sent me off on a goose chase. I’ve read every manual avid makes out of the audio division and watched every video avid released. I even had sweetwater login remotely and confirm I’m not crazy. It’s all set up properly and but wasn’t passing signals. He said to stick with the support case. Since then I’ve uninstalled everything and reset the Mtrx. Flashed p ram. Updated everything to latest firmware.
I now have audio. I’ve set up Dante And have system sound routed to the s6 control room. The only thing left to confirm is if Dadman does indeed show meters when a signal is present because currently it does not. No matter analog in or digital sources. Is this standard behavior? If so then I’m all good. If not then I dunno. I’ve done all I can do minus a complete wipe of my system.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:13 PM

It only shows meters for DA and AD in the DA and AD section of DADman.

Same for the lights on the front (they only indicate DA --bottom row -- or AD -- top row)

It also shows meters in DADman for defined input and output sources (no matter digital or analogue sources) for the Mon section. Those can be assigned to a screen on the S6 (through Eucon.)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 11-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Hrmm. I have no meters. A/D
I do have signal on the MTRX but not in dadman.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:21 AM

If you see page 22-23 of the operation guide, The config tab list Protools HD and gives the option to emulate the HD I/O

Guide

I dont have those options which made me think something was off. Also as I mentioned earlier, I watched a west lake video where the MTRX was showing up as an interface in hardware settings.

Seen here.

Ultimately it seems to be functioning like its supposed to minus the GUI issues. I'll escalate that with a support case.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Od manual not updated. There have been more additions via DADman updates and firmware updates. You have to read the update notes each time. The MTRX now supports more digilink cards (that didn't exist then -- up to 6 additional cards) which is why that was changed. They last changed the manual for the SPQ card rollout.

Old videos will be even more out of date.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
If you see page 22-23 of the operation guide, The config tab list Protools HD and gives the option to emulate the HD I/O

Guide

I dont have those options which made me think something was off. Also as I mentioned earlier, I watched a west lake video where the MTRX was showing up as an interface in hardware settings.
These were before Avid properly integrated the MTRX into Pro Tools as its own device with its own delay settings. Pro Tools has had updated versions released since these videos and manual that include the MTRX as its own device.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:48 PM

What metering looks like (one of my MTRXs). I've marked the green light that signals an active output (configured) which lights even when there is no signal.