Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Question How do I monitor "output" audio levels of a track

Hi all,

I'm new to Pro Tools and new to the forum. I've searched for a solution to this online and in the PT9 help, but apologies if it's already been answered a million times. Also I'm sorry in advance if I'm breaking any forum rules.

PROBLEM:

After making edits to the automation of a region, there is a noticable audible change in the output level, relative to the edits I've made. the fader also moves accordingly upon playback.

However the audio meter for the track doesn't show these changes. This is making it difficult to adjust the automation accurately.

QUESTION:

Is there any way to change the audio meters to reflect output audio as opposed to the original levels?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Re: How do I monitor "output" audio levels of a track

Page 211 of the v9.0.2 Pro Tools Reference Guide. You want to set your track metering to "post-fader".

"Pre- and Post-Fader Metering -- You can globally set audio track level meters to indicate pre- or post-fader levels. When prefader metering is selected, the level meters show levels independent of fader position. With postfader metering, the level meters respond to fader position.

To toggle track level metering between pre-fader and post-fader metering: Select Options > Pre-Fader Metering."
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Default Re: How do I monitor "output" audio levels of a track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch Magnet View Post
Page 211 of the v9.0.2 Pro Tools Reference Guide. You want to set your track metering to "post-fader".

"Pre- and Post-Fader Metering -- You can globally set audio track level meters to indicate pre- or post-fader levels. When prefader metering is selected, the level meters show levels independent of fader position. With postfader metering, the level meters respond to fader position.

To toggle track level metering between pre-fader and post-fader metering: Select Options > Pre-Fader Metering."
Well said^^^ and I would add; don't mix with your eyes, use your ears

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave