Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Default Quicktime Movie Audio lags on playback in ProTools 8

I am having a problem running a Quicktime movie in ProTools 8 (HD). When I hit the spacebar, there is 1 to 3 second delay before the audio plays back. This occurs even when there is only one stereo audio track. If I take the video offline the audio portion plays back fine.

I have Mac Pro Intel (tower) 2 x 2.66 Dual - Core. Version 10.5.8 with two gigs of memory. The session (with the Quicktime movie) in on an external firewire drive. I am using two Samsung widescreen monitors.

I used to do this successfully in PrpTools 7

Amy suggestions?

Dennis
Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Quicktime Movie Audio lags on playback in ProTools 8

Open the movie in quicktime.

Hit apple j to open the movie properties.

Select the the quicktime's audio track and delete.

Save over the movie or save as a new one if you want to keep a version of the quicktime with the SOT still in.

Import it into Pro Tools

Done.

It's a quirky bug that started in leopard. When you are hitting play in PT, leaopard is looking for an output to play the quicktime audio which causes the system to pause while it "figures it out". Some people have also had success with changing the audio settings in the system prefs. I've run into situations where prefs changes didn't work, but deleting the audio track from quicktime seems to work every time.

Best,
Matt
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Quicktime Movie Audio lags on playback in ProTools 8

Got to system preferences/audio/output and make sure that the output is set to internal, Not your digi hardware.

As far as I´m concerned, this is all you have to do, no need to extract audio from the quicktimefile.

arvid