Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Boot Camp and RTAS Intel plugin versions

As I'm considering buying a new 2.0Ghz iMac. I have a few plugins that I'm positive will only work in the XP environment. In effect, I have two questions.

1. Will the previous versions of PT (ie. 6.4) work with Boot Camp? Since after all they are compatible with XP Pro and an Intel processor.

2. Will Xp versions of plugs like Waves IR Bundle and Antares Auto Tune, work on Boot Camp?

I am unclear as to how powerful Boot Camp is, or rather how compatible it is with previous PT and Plugin versions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Boot Camp and RTAS Intel plugin versions

Boot Camp is simply a "boot loader" that lets you install and run XP on the Mac as if it were a normal PC. Everything will be pretty much exactly the same as if you were running XP on a standard PC. All your windows/intel plugins should work just as if you were running it on a normal PC.

The only caveat will be that since an Intel iMac is a dual-core machine, you might have to disable one of the cores while you are running Pro Tools for PT to run stable. Details on how to do this are from my previous post here .

You might or might not have to do this, I haven't tried Pro Tools 6.x with an Intel dual core CPU yet, only AMD.

P.S. -- I have a 2 GHz Intel iMac and it is a wonderful machine! Very recommended.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Boot Camp and RTAS Intel plugin versions

Brilliant.

Absolutely spot on guidance.

Thanks so much.