Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM

Question FRom LE to HD

Im getting ready to upgrade from LE to HD on the same computer (Mac G5 2.3 dual core, mbox to HD2/ 96i), from what Im reading..... I need to back up all my files (tracks) to external hard drive or carbon copy. Then install hardware, check setups, install new HD 8.1...Then how do I restore? and what is the conversion issues/loss from LE to HD? Will tracks remain intact? I dont care about plugins I dont save them in my sessions I record them to separate tracks.
Anybody been through this and can you prepare me for the pitfalls and left turns... Got 30 sessions I dont want to lose or destroy......Where's the parachute and the fire extinquisher located LOL
Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 PM

Default Re: FRom LE to HD

My advice would be to check the compatibility grids first.
Then buy another internal drive and install the appropriate OS for the version of Protools you want to run. Install PT's HD on the new drive and make sure it is all stable and running right then migrate your sessions over one at a time making sure you leave the original session saved somewhere in case you need to go back and re-boot from the original boot drive with LE on it.
In the mac preferences you select "start up disk" to change which drive you boot from.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Default Re: FRom LE to HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesimm View Post
Im getting ready to upgrade from LE to HD on the same computer (Mac G5 2.3 dual core, mbox to HD2/ 96i), from what Im reading..... I need to back up all my files (tracks) to external hard drive or carbon copy. Then install hardware, check setups, install new HD 8.1...Then how do I restore? and what is the conversion issues/loss from LE to HD? Will tracks remain intact? I dont care about plugins I dont save them in my sessions I record them to separate tracks.
Anybody been through this and can you prepare me for the pitfalls and left turns... Got 30 sessions I dont want to lose or destroy......Where's the parachute and the fire extinquisher located LOL
STOP.. you can't put 8.1 on a G5. Gotta be an intel machine/
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM

Question Re: FRom LE to HD

Thanks....thats important gotta make sure I get 8.0 I Appreciate it gentlemen, you guys are great! Maybe I should upgrade to a PowerMac...although then your stuck with pci-e which are twice the price and hard to find...AAAARRRGGHHH its allways something...LOLOL