Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 AM

Default 002R/001..curious

I am curious about something. I have spent a good deal of time on this forum lately researching a monster problem I had due to a QuickTime 7 and iTunes update that caused havoc with my system ( Digi 001, G4 MDD 1.25 DP, OS 10.3.9, PT LE 6.4 ) My setup was humming like a top until those upgrades to QT and iTunes.

That is the point. Prior to this crash, I had no reason to scour the DUC and Digi Support. Digi 001 with LE 6/4 and my computer have been super-stable for months. Ran like clockwork!! No crashes, no connectivity issues, no metering issues like peaks on record but not on playback, no noticible sample latency problems etc etc. The only problem I ever had was another app like Reason being open first and taking over the audio. Close out, open PT, bam no problem.

I mean it became almost like -Okay this is too good to be true, when is it going to boink?!

Those upgrade downloads did it, it had nothing to do with the existing setup.
So now compatibility/OS upgrades/App upgrades, dropped support for 001 and the idea of hardware upgrading to 002R are at the forefront of my thinkng when I enter my studio each day, not just going to work.

So apart from feeling just a little bit manipulated by this all I am curious as to whether the upgrade to 002 and related MacOS upgrades is a good idea. Perhaps I should stay where I am, now that I am back to normal with 001 ( with QT 6.5.2 and iTunes 4.7.1 !)

All I see on these threads in DUC is folks having all sorts of issues with 002R. And as for the Power Harness issue! I spoke to someone at Customer Pre-Sales and all they were able to say is - the issue of the power harness has been addressed, but we cannot say that you will not have a problem with a power harness on a new 002R. All we can say is that the number of users having power harness problems has decreased significantly. If you have a problem out the box just take it back to the dealer for an exchange.

Hmmm...001 running like a top again or upgrade to 002 and possible downtime with failures.

I'd love to get some feedback from 002 users on G4, hopefully good stuff.Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 002R/001..curious

I've used both extensively. The one I have in my home studio is the 001. LIke you I got way over confident in the fact that I'd been running problem free for quite a while and then the QT7 bomb dropped. I find it's up to the user really. Fact of the matter is both the 001 and 002 are great pieces of gear. The pnly thing I see that seperates them is 1) Support (For OSes and PT LE) 2) 96 K sample rate 3) 2 Mic Pres. To me that's not a big enough gap. I do great w/ Digi 001PT 6.4 on OSX 10.3.8 w/ Logic. (I even upgraded to ITunes 4.8 no problem, it was QT7 on 10.3.9 that gave me trouble.) I've also done great things on a Digi 002R w/ PT LE 6.7 & 6.9 pn OSX 10.3.9 w/ Logic. The gap between the two doesn't feel very big. Though the new Midi options w/ 6.9 are nice.

If you really decide to upgrade before there's a Digi 003, which might offer a greater upgrade. Consider going the M-Powred Pro Tools route once they've worked out the bugs (which will be soon), and picking up an M-Audio 18/14. That might feel like more of an upgrade. The 18/14 has up to 192 K sample rate and the hardware is more flexible. Support for the Hardware will probably last longer than the 002.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: 002R/001..curious

Good advice Paxil. I watch your posts and appreciate the input you give here. After all, it really is the end users of the product and the real life sucesses. failures and results that matter to me in the long run. Also the decision to upgrade or go to a different platform is all mine, and I will not allow myself be manipulated into these decisions by marketing ploys and whatever else might be in play. I am suspicious by nature, not a good thing always, but it does not take much thought to realize how many opportunities there are to coax a user in this or that direction, by these manufacturers and the computer OS platform manufacturers. My guard was way down however with those Apple updates-what a mess up!

So getting feedback from yourself and others really helps in the decision making process. I happen to really like Pro Tools and LE. It always feels good to me when I open up and I seriously doubt I will change. I just wish I could feel 100% confident in the upgrade to 002R, that I could buy it, install it and get going with no damn issues and no down time. I don't feel this yet.

Thanks, Lister.