Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Default Re: What drum plug in to buy?

I'll notch another vote for SD2.0. If you're not happy with the prepackaged grooves, just pick up one of the midi add-on packs for cheap.. I would suggest Songwriter.

If I had a TD10-20 or whatever I would most likely go that route first.. but using the midi packs is very fast and easy.. Drag and drop.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 AM

"If I had a TD10-20"

???

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM

So im an idiot here but after watching a few youtube vids on bfd2 and SD2.0 I did not see this so ill ask..

If I launch BFD or SD2.0 in PT8.1 when I hit the play in PT the BFD or SD2.0 track plays as well its not a stand alone player per say correct?.

I build drum groves to the beat - bar - and tempo of the PT session correct? Then if I change the tempo from 118BPM in the tempo pain IN PT to 119bpm the drum plug in follows suit?

One more Q as well, I would just hate to plop down 300.00 on any of these and not like it, So does EZ drummer have a grid editor?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Both BFD and SD2 can be instantiated as RTAS plugins inside your PT session. The midi patterns that they reference will be auto adjusted with the tempo of your session - so, YES, they will playback (the midi grooves/beats) in time with your session tempo no matter how it may change throughout the session because the midi data follows session tempo.

As far as I know, both BFD2 and SD2 come with additional standalone players - which I have found useful for 'metronome purposes' when working out chord progressions for songs.

No groove editor with EZ Drummer. You can drag grooves into a midi/instrument track in PT and edit it there.....

Hope this helps.

GregJ
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

I've also used the tempo pane to do little tempo fluctuations to give the plug-in drums a more "live" feel throughout a song since no drummer or any musician for that matter is click track perfect.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsound Recording View Post
"If I had a TD10-20"

???
Roland electronic drum kits.. You can use some of the TD6's and up to run drum VI's in PT. Albee uses a TD-10 I think he said.. It would be very handy for laying down ideas at the drop of a hat or working out parts..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I build drum groves to the beat - bar - and tempo of the PT session correct? Then if I change the tempo from 118BPM in the tempo pain IN PT to 119bpm the drum plug in follows suit?
Like Greg said, MIDI follows the session tempo as long as you use tick-based tracks. MIDI and Instrument tracks are tick-based by default when you create them, so don't worry about that.

Quote:
One more Q as well, I would just hate to plop down 300.00 on any of these and not like it, So does EZ drummer have a grid editor?
Superior 2 has a large and great-sounding sample library - EZ Drummer can't compare to the versatility you get with S2. Great drums recorded in a nice space, a much more complex feature-set within the plugin, and great plugins from Sonalksis.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
I've also used the tempo pane to do little tempo fluctuations to give the plug-in drums a more "live" feel throughout a song since no drummer or any musician for that matter is click track perfect.

There is also a really cool video on Russ' Airusersblog that shows how to apply a tempo map to an existing track.
The title of the blog entry is: Force Pro Tools To Work To Your Flexible Timing.

If you can lay down a solid enough scratch track, then you can conform your session tempo to that track's transients. Then you can use either of the aforementioned Drum Sequencer plugins to follow that tempo.

Awesome......

(I'd link to the vid, but you have to be logged in to view it.)

GregJ
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 AM

So then SD has a groove editor like BFD and strike?

I am leaning now to the SD product

Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So then SD has a groove editor like BFD and strike?
No, SD doesn't have a groove editor, but why is that important? You and your partners will be using a DAW, right? Drag the grooves into the DAW, and edit them there.