Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-04-2023, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Media Composer 2022.12 Exports Pro Tools Sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Rost View Post
It sound like a good and long-overdue move,but I hope it doesn't mean that AAF support will get worse in the future, i.e. paths to other DAWs etc..
IMO If avid wanted to replace AAF's, at least at present they appear to have shot themselves in the foot. The export as Pro Tools session option has been limited to MC Ultimate and Enterprise versions. Long time MC users who brought Perpetual licences and continue up till today paying annual fees to have the possibility to stay current are excluded.

There are posts over in the MC forums from a number of perpetual licence holders I have known for over 2 decades declaring they will not renew.

I regret that as a MC Perpetual licence holder I will not be able to follow through with my offer to test different scenarios for the Pro Tools .ptx exports. I should have read the last line in the release notes before making the offer, it never occurred to me that Avid would introduce this limitation, Sorry

As AAFs have worked very well for me on a weekly basis for a couple of decades I and, possibly, a reasonable number of other Perpetual Licence holders now have one more reason not to update MC beyond their current MC versions.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I regret that as a MC Perpetual licence holder I will not be able to follow through with my offer to test different scenarios for the Pro Tools .ptx exports.
Shame to hear that Andrew.

Seems ridiculous that those most likely to try this new workflow out (long time 'small fry' Avid perpetual owners) are not permitted access to it.

Short sighted attempt at forcing non-perpetual subscriptions on media composer users (perpetual 'support' is effectively an annual subscription anyway).

There's also no 'get current' option available to us lapsed MC perpetuals.

I'm now mostly using Premiere -> ProTools via AAF where dub is done by dubbing mixer and Premiere <-> Audition (or, very occasionally, Resolve Edit/Fairlight within the same *app*) where I need to finish audio myself.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevora View Post
Shame to hear that Andrew.
Seems ridiculous that those most likely to try this new workflow out (long time 'small fry' Avid perpetual owners) are not permitted access to it.
Hi Trevor good to hear from you again!

My guess is limiting this to Ultimate or Enterprise (Nexis?) serves to perpetuate what I believe has always been to reason MC and Pro Tools interactions have been difficult. Some fundamental incompatibilities between how they both have deal with AV media files.

Maybe the Nexis environment was required to develop this, limited solution.

Better news for me is that MC 2022.12 still has the output AAF to Edit Protocol option available.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:00 AM

I tested a project where audio clips was imported in wave format.
- Export ProTools session in link mode both Video and audio (No video track/clips but video is checked too).
- It ask me where I want to put the medias but it's link, not a consolidate. No need to put the medias anywhere.
- Then, if I export that link, MC create .wave files as if it was consolidated.
- If I choose to consolidate, I don't have the choice to choose the place where I put the medias (as if it was a link).

With AAF, it works as it is suppose to work. Link than in Pro Tools it relink to the original medias.

Code is not finished on this new feature. Looks almost like the Titling Tool, haha

Working w/ Mac Studio M1 OS12.3.1, MC 2022.12 and PT2022.7
Old 03-08-2023, 07:53 AM

Thank you for testing it.