Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 06-26-2021, 05:28 AM

Default coreaudiod (Not Responding)

This may be unimportant, but I'm interested.......

I'm seeing coreaudiod (Not Responding) in the activity monitor when the Carbon is connected. Sound still seems to be coming out of the Carbon though.....

MacOS 10.15.7, Mac Pro 7.1, 16-core, 48GB RAM. PT is version 2021.6.0. Carbon firmware is 1.0.1.2106111846A

Happens whether PT is running or not. Sound plays from PT and from third party apps (browser, Audirvana, QuickTime).
Old 06-26-2021, 05:55 AM

Default Re: coreaudiod (Not Responding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post

I'm seeing coreaudiod (Not Responding) in the activity monitor when the Carbon is connected. Sound still seems to be coming out of the Carbon though.....

MacOS 10.15.7, Mac Pro 7.1, 16-core, 48GB RAM. PT is version 2021.6.0. Carbon firmware is 1.0.1.2106111846A

Happens whether PT is running or not. Sound plays from PT and from third party apps (browser, Audirvana, QuickTime).
Don't know haven't looked in the Activity Monitor since as you note it works fine with third party only playing and also when PT is open on Carbon

I have a question about your system line ,, how are you determining what your firmware version is ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-26-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Don't know haven't looked in the Activity Monitor since as you note it works fine with third party only playing and also when PT is open on Carbon

I have a question about your system line ,, how are you determining what your firmware version is ?
If you launch PT, select the Carbon as your interface, and go to Setup -> Hardware, the Firmware version is shown at the bottom left of the dialog box.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-06-26 at 14.02.20.png (78.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If you launch PT, select the Carbon as your interface, and go to Setup -> Hardware, the Firmware version is shown at the bottom left of the dialog box.
Ha I never even noticed it there thanks

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-26-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:

FWIW I often see this too when using DVS or AVB on my Mac (same Mac and OS release as you). I suspect “working as designed”. Might be worth reporting to Apple.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
FWIW I often see this too when using DVS or AVB on my Mac (same Mac and OS release as you). I suspect “working as designed”. Might be worth reporting to Apple.
Thanks Luke.

I suspect that this is one of the things that caused overheating of less powerful Macs and got fixed in one of the Big Sur releases, but as you'll see from my post in another thread (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414703&page=3) I'm not clear what Avid's advice currently is for MacOS version when running Carbon + 2021.6
Maybe it will end up like the WiFi advice, where you must have WiFi on for iLok cloud, but must have it switched off for optimised performance.
Or Spotlight, which you must switch on unless you are doing a recording over 50 minutes, in which case you must switch it off.

Having the Carbon connected causes my Mac to consume an extra 30-40 watts of power continuously, even when not playing any sounds, so it's definitely having an impact, it's just covered up by the excellent cooling of the Mac Pro.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:18 PM

Hi there,
I am running the same OS as you, but on a 2020 MBP, and I am getting this coreaudioid (not responding) constantly with Carbon. Also, every once in a while all the CPUs spike on the System Usage page Pro Tools, when I'm just idle. Did you say this is fixed in Big Sur? My Mac runs much hotter while using Carbon for sure with 10.15.7... Thanks.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:51 PM

FWIW, just in case it means something to someone; I've learned over the years that processes in Act.Mon. that ends with a "d", usually means "deamon". So to me, it's pretty obvious that this process name is a shortening of "Carbon I/O deamon". Sounds like a pretty essential component, I think. It would probably reside in the "LaunchDaemons" folder in sys/lib. Deamons are launched at startup.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattheWood View Post
Hi there,
I am running the same OS as you, but on a 2020 MBP, and I am getting this coreaudioid (not responding) constantly with Carbon. Also, every once in a while all the CPUs spike on the System Usage page Pro Tools, when I'm just idle. Did you say this is fixed in Big Sur? My Mac runs much hotter while using Carbon for sure with 10.15.7... Thanks.
I've "upgraded" to Big Sur - I tried 11.2, 11.3, 11.5 and 11.5.1 and now on 11.5.2. I haven't noticed any improvement - Activity Monitor no longer shows the coreaudiod as red, but it has the same issue, which is essentially lots of CPU 'idle wake-ups' - so the CPU is constantly prodded into action - it never gets to stay in a low-power state for long. Once again, with all versions of Big Sur I've tried, my Mac Pro 7.1 consumes an extra 30-40 watts of power (all CPU) when the Carbon is connected (and powered on), so I don't believe that Big Sur has really helped the fundamental problem. [I'm also on PT 2021.7.0 now, but I don't think that makes any difference either].

It may be different on a laptop, I don't know. I can't say I like the look of Big Sur and it feels less snappy than Catalina, but PT performance seems about the same.

Try sending a DM to Kyle Splittgerber or Mark Corbin - both from Avid - to see if they can help diagnose and improve your problem.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 09-07-2021 at 01:20 AM.