Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-22-2024, 06:53 AM

Default Moved from HD Native to HDX Hybrid recording question..

I just recently got a great price on an HDX + Chassis - basically the same price I can sell the HD Native Thunderbolt unit for.

My one and only concern is whether my HD Native experience is going to remain the same as it was - as in, if I'm recording with a native channel in the hybrid engine, is it the exact same experience as it was with the HD Thunderbolt?

I'd like to think it is... in that, so long as you have low buffer and choose the right plugins, it's essentially zero latency even though it's Native.

One pretty big annoyance is when I arm record on a track it automatically switches to DSP mode and disables all my native plugins though - is there a way to stop this? I don't wanna have to go through the dance of disabling DSP then pressing record again every time.

____

My general take on HDX and this HDX Hybrid Engine is pretty underwhelming tbh. I much preferred the old way of being able to have both DSP and Native plugins sharing a track.

For example if I'm mixing in the box and I enable a DSP track.. then my mix bus chain (largely UAD plugins) all goes into bypass! seems useless tbh. Obviously it's good from a dropping in an overdub point of view, but when you're balls deep in a mix that's not a common occurrence imo

And yes, I'm aware you can disable the hybrid and go back to old style HDX. I like the idea of Hybrid, but the way they force certain aspects on you I think isn't great.. should be able to change setting so when you change a track to DSP it doesn't affect any routing. What if I'm just mixing and just want to offload some processing to the HDX card, it's not all about recording.

___

Hopefully that all makes sense :)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Moved from HD Native to HDX Hybrid recording question..

There's a protools preference about auto-changing record tracks to DSP mode. You disable that behavior from there.

As for classic HDX, that has to work that way. You should read up on hdx/tdm and you'll understand why. When in HDX record, everything is running on the chips including the mix engine. If it runs a native plugin, it has to send packets to and back from the computer processor. That introduces a lot of latency. In hybrid HDX, the mixer runs on the computer and not the cards. But when you enable dsp, a small mixer then runs on the cards for only that signal path and that requires everything to run on the card to make that work. Which means no native plugs.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Moved from HD Native to HDX Hybrid recording question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
There's a protools preference about auto-changing record tracks to DSP mode. You disable that behavior from there.

As for classic HDX, that has to work that way. You should read up on hdx/tdm and you'll understand why. When in HDX record, everything is running on the chips including the mix engine. If it runs a native plugin, it has to send packets to and back from the computer processor. That introduces a lot of latency. In hybrid HDX, the mixer runs on the computer and not the cards. But when you enable dsp, a small mixer then runs on the cards for only that signal path and that requires everything to run on the card to make that work. Which means no native plugs.
Great explanation! I never quite understood the integration of native and DSP. THANK YOU!