Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-17-2024, 02:24 PM

Default Pro tools don't recognize keyboard M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro

Hi folks,

I have got a Keyboard M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro that works fine with my PC and Kontakt standalone instrument pug in. However, I have problems connecting this Keyboard with Pro tools.
I am following the set up procedure described here:

https://support.m-audio.com/en/suppo...p-in-pro-tools,

but I cannot make Pro tools recognize Hammer 88 Pro………..I have attached a few screenshots: Input midi devices, Peripheral and the error that pop up. I have configured the Keyboard for Pro-tools, Windows PC too. Please note that you cannot see Hammer 88 Pro, Mackie/HUI. in the list of Midi devices so it may be related to that (Attached snapshot MIDI Input devices). Although, I can only see MIDIIN2 as MIDI input device, which is what I select. Why don’t we see the Hammer 88 Pro, Mackie HUI entry in MIDI input device as shown in the link above? Have I setup correctly the configuration?
Many thanks

Alvaro
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI Input Devices.PNG (20.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Peripherals.jpg (20.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Error Keyboard HUI.PNG (31.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro tools don't recognize keyboard M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro

Hi Alvaro,

Can you also share what version of Pro Tools and operating system are you using?
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://avidtech.my.site.com/avidsup...t-support-page
Old 04-17-2024, 02:52 PM

-- Are on Pro Tools 12 since you are posting in a Pro Tools 12 subforum? I'll assume so for the rest of this post..

Are you trying to use the keyboard for DAW control or as a MIDI keyboard or both?

If you just want the MIDI keyboard input is that working to an instrument track? Can you see the MIDI events from the keyboard if you enable the Instrument view in the track in the Mix or Edit windows. (e.g. the small green meter in the Instrument view move on each MIDI event). To get started make sure MIDI Thru is selected, the VI track is record armed, and the MIDI I/O selectors shown in that Instrument view have input set to "All" (or the MIDI address of the keyboard) and the output MIDI I/O selector is set to the VI on that track (there is a occasional bug in Pro Tools where that MIDI Output becomes disconnected from the VI).

That is some not great documentation by M-Audio. Fuzzy illegible screen shots, talking about the Oxygen keyboard, incomplete effort to tell anybody how get the instrument track working. (e.g. enable MIDI Thru and record arm the track). Unfortunately they are a mess as a vendor.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
... Are you trying to use the keyboard for DAW control or as a MIDI keyboard or both? ...
Exactly my question to the OP as well.

In my Windows 11/Pro Tools setup, I'm using my M-Audio Hammer88 as a MIDI keyboard controller only (not HUI). Configured in Pro Tools' MIDI Studio Setup. Works great.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume