Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Eleven Rack and MBox 3

I have an Eleven Rack, and now a MBox 3.

I'm a little confused about how to best hook them together.

SPDIF I know, but which device USB to the PC? I don't want to lose the better A/D conversion of the MBox 3.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack and MBox 3

After reading some other posts about using the Eleven Rack with an 002, I think I need to ask the question a different way.

I know that I have to use SPDIF to connect the Eleven Rack to the MBox 3. But how do I connect them so that I end up using the A/D D/A conversion of the MBox 3 and NOT the Eleven Rack?

The whole purpose of getting the MBox 3 was to have better A/D. I don't want to connect them in a way that the A/D D/A will still be coming from the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM

This is not a problem. You want the Mbox to be your interface, but you want the Eleven Rack to be hooked up also so that you can access the control window, correct?

When you open whatever session you're working on, in the upper left menus, click on "Setup", then click "Hardware", and it will bring up a box, with a smaller box on the left that says "Peripherals". You will see a choice between the Mbox and the Eleven Rack. Whichever one you click on is the interface you'll be using. In this case the Mbox. Make sure the clock is set to "internal", which means the Mbox will be the master clock and the Eleven Rack will clock from that (you may need to have spidf cables going both ways for this).

That's it. Note that you can change this back and forth at anytime if you wish. You don't have to quit the session or anything.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
This is not a problem. You want the Mbox to be your interface, but you want the Eleven Rack to be hooked up also so that you can access the control window, correct?
Yes, I got this part. I know the Eleven Rack has to be USB connected also so that I can use the GUI for it in Pro Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Make sure the clock is set to "internal", which means the Mbox will be the master clock and the Eleven Rack will clock from that (you may need to have spidf cables going both ways for this).

That's it. Note that you can change this back and forth at anytime if you wish. You don't have to quit the session or anything.
This is the part that confuses me. The spdif connections. I don't want to hook up the Eleven Rack to the MBox 3 using the spdif cables and then unknowingly be using the A/D D/A on the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM

I just hooked mine up tonight. I am doing the same thing you are trying to do…

With a little help from NST7 the other day, it was pretty simple and painless to get up and running…

I first installed my MBOX 3 Pro and confirmed it to be the Default Audio Interface in Windows.

Then installed the driver for 11 R for PT9 (I went back to the Audio settings and had to manually switch the MBOX3 back to the default interface)

I then followed the instructions on page 72 and 73 of the 11R Manual….

Where the book told me to open Pro Tools it said that the RACK Window would appear in PT. I did see PT load all the rigs but in mine the rack window did not automatically appear

I simply went to Window>11 Rack

I set the MBOX 3 to use the internal clock

The only other thing I had to do was map the 11R SPDIF track to inputs 5-6 and I was then able to record and play through PT9 using the MBOX 3 as the main interface and the 11R as a processor/instrument.

SBS
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
Yes, I got this part. I know the Eleven Rack has to be USB connected also so that I can use the GUI for it in Pro Tools.

This is the part that confuses me. The spdif connections. I don't want to hook up the Eleven Rack to the MBox 3 using the spdif cables and then unknowingly be using the A/D D/A on the Eleven Rack.
I could be wrong here.. but if you are connected to the Mbox3 using SPDIF, then you are necessarily sending a digital signal out to the Mbox3 from the 11R. At what point in this chain would you be expecting the 11R to do an A/D D/A conversion?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
I could be wrong here.. but if you are connected to the Mbox3 using SPDIF, then you are necessarily sending a digital signal out to the Mbox3 from the 11R. At what point in this chain would you be expecting the 11R to do an A/D D/A conversion?
I think the problem is that I don't understand what it is the SPDIF connections cause to happen exactly when you connect them to another device. There are settings for clock source and such that can be confusing.

Of course the Eleven Rack would be doing the A/D conversion of my guitar signal and sending it to the MBox 3. But I don't want to make any settings that would cause the Eleven Rack to become the main device when they are hooked together. I only want the Eleven Rack to come into play when I'm recording electric guitar.

If I'm recording something through a mic I want the MBox 3 to do the A/D conversion.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post

If I'm recording something through a mic I want the MBox 3 to do the A/D conversion.
Then just set the Mbox 3 as your interface, and plug the mic into the Mbox 3 and not the Eleven Rack. SPDIF is digital, so there would be no conversion from the 11R to the MB3.

Just set your Mbox 3 as the main interface, hook Digital Coaxial cables going "to" and "from" the 11R, plug your monitors into the Mbox 3, and go.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM

OK. I have it working with one problem.

I have:

MBox 3 USB to PC set as main interface in Pro Tools.
Eleven Rack USB to PC hooked to MBox 3 SPDIF (OUT to IN, IN to OUT)

Eleven Rack set to clock Ext SPDIF.
MBox 3 set to clock Internal.

Both are at 44100.

When I set up a track with the input set to SPDIF I get no sound from the Eleven Rack.

If I change the clock on the MBox 3 to Ext SPDIF. and the clock on the Eleven Rack to Internal, I get sound.

What might I be doing wrong?

I'd like to use the clock in the MBox 3 because I assume it's a better one. Or doesn't it make a difference?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM

I am new at this so I am just throwing this out there because I didn't get any sound either until I did the following:

Create a track and select inputs as Track 7-8 from the MBOX 3. Then I got sound no problem using the MBOX Clock and 11R

I am assuming that MBOX 3 assigns tracks 7-8 to the SPDIF connection by default?....