Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Can you make it quiet? It\'s really loud!

Being a professional audio product developer you'd think Digidesign would consider the noise generated by fans, drives and whatnot. However, I just got a demo of the Digidelivery GT today and I am astounded by the sheer volume of fan noise and simple operational noise this server creates. My measurements show that my machine room with a SAN, cooling racks, tape machines, and power backup devices runs approximately 60dB SPL with lof frequencies being the majority of the noise. (low meaning below 250Hz) The digidelivery generates between 70 and 80dB SPL of noise at aproximately 1kHz center frequency from the fan and hardrive.
I almost can't demo the box because it is so irritating to be next to while setting it up.
Buyer beware... This server is freakin loud.
For my $8000 I would ask that the pro audio developer consider noise from their devices to be a problem.

As a sercure server, it is a great box.
I just wish it had a volume knob.
-Justin
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can you make it quiet? It\'s really loud!

Actually, we looked very closely at the noise issue because, as you note, it is loud. Believe it or not, we paid extra for the quieter fans(!) The problem is actually physics: Because the box is only 1 rack unit high, the air needs to move faster to provide sufficient cooling, so it needs 2 fans. It's a tough compromise.

Though we are an audio company, DigiDelivery is not strictly an audio product since it works with any kind of file you can throw at it. Many of these boxes end up in network facilities where rack space is paid monthly and good cooling is equated with reliability. Remember - fans are a frequent source of failure, and overheating a server can cause permanent damage to the disk. Since we had to have two fans for reliability, we figured we'd take advantage of the 1U case. So the tough choice was for reliability over noise floor. Fortunately, you don't need physical access to the box to use it, so it can be tucked away in a machine room, broom closet or neighbor's tool shed (Some users report fewer gopher problems in their gardens, but DigiDelivery has not been officially qualified in this capacity).
Old 05-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Machine room required

NO KIDDING!!
I just got an LT today and could not believe how loud it is.
I know I'll be digging into the manual but can it be off unless you are expecting to receive or deliver?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:03 AM

I've been thinking of shutting it down when I'm not expecting deliveries, although first I'm going to try to sound-proof my machine closet a little better. In my initial setup, I didn't have a machine closet, and I thought I was going to loose my mind when I turned the DigiDelivery on. WOW. 70-80 dB SPL, eh? I think I've mixed spots quieter than that.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
can it be off unless you are expecting to receive or deliver?
Technically, there's no reason not to turn it off if you don't expect (and you don't expect your collaborators )to be uploading or downloading. Always shut down by logging into the admim pages and clicking Shut Down Server in the Server Administration page. You shouldn't use the power button on the front of the machine unless it's completely jammed up.

Thanks, Gordon
Old 09-12-2006, 02:31 PM

By the way, I should have said in my previous posting that I understand your explanation for why it's so darn noisy, Gordon. Unfortunately, not all of us have it in a remote location, but I can see how you'd want it to be only 1 RU high and with redundant fans. Maybe some day I'll rent space from someone so I don't have to listen to it.

One more question: what will happen to a client if they attempt a delivery when the device is off?