Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 AM

Default Crashing when loading new or saved session.

Hi guys. New to this forum and semi new to protools. I downloaded protools first to learn the daw and have two major issues occurring, help please! When I load protools first, type in the file name and hit create, the program crashes and closes immediately. I found a work around on here that did work, however I noticed I wasn’t able to open any past saved sessions at a later time. I would receive the error “Cannot be opened. The latest version of the product may have been uploaded by a newer version of protools. Please install any updates and try again.” I have reinstalled to see if this corrects and it does not, plus now the work around to get it start up no longer works. I decided to download the trial to learn and am not sure I’m ready to subscribe however the full version works and loads/saves with zero issues. Any ideas on how to correct my pro tools first issues? Thanks everyone.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Crashing when loading new or saved session.

Hello and welcome to Pro Tools and the forum.
Please take a look at the Help Us Help You thread, which contains information on general setup, optimization and troubleshooting for Pro Tools.

With your specific problem, are you using the latest version of Pro Tools? Currently it is at version 2020.9.
Do you have an audio interface that is ASIO compliant attached to your system?
Is Windows trying to use the ASIO interface as it's default playback device? If it is, then you will need to go into Windows and make sure it is using something else as Windows and Pro Tools do not like to share interfaces.

Also make sure you have the right interface selected in Pro Tools First.
If you hold down the N key while it loads, it will display the Playback Engine dialog where you can select your audio interface.

Hope that helps.

System Details