Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Gain plug-in

So as part of my workflow, i will usually select a playlist containing several files and run the gain plugin to see what the peak and rms levels are. I've recently realized that the gain plugin takes the empty space on the playlist into account when calculating these levels. Does this seem completely off to anyone else? I'm trying to get a quick general overview of what the rms levels are for a group of files. I work with thousands of voice over clips used in various situations and it's helpful to quickly get a feel for the overall "level" of the files. I used to use the gain plugin to do this but now it seems a bit worthless when it takes empty space on the region into account rather then just the audio files. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Gain plug-in

If you're selecting empty space, then yes, it makes sense that it would use it in the analysis. If you don't want it in there, don't select it.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Gain plug-in

there is a "region by region" option but it is always grayed out. Any ideas how I use that?

It doesn't make sense to me that it would count empty space with no audio or file in the calculation of the gain of a file. The problem with not selecting the space is there is space on the playlist. I would have to manually select each file in the region list which isn't actually easy to do in this situation.