Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 PM
SPAM

Default can feat pcie hd accel to pcie x16 of motherboard?

hi,i have hd 2 accel and my motherboard only have one pcie x1 and tow pcie x16 ,i use the pcie x1 for my accel core card now can i use pcie x16 for accel 2 card?is there someone know about pcie x16 uses fore hd accel pcie card ?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: can feat pcie hd accel to pcie x16 of motherboard?

Raga,

It will be great if you take time to explain your problems more elaborately & probably one of us could help you here. You can start by telling what motherboard you have.Some of the motherboards cut off all other PCIe slots if two x16 slots are used .Some allow you to manipulate the individual bandwidths.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:07 PM
SPAM

ok,lets start by motherboard.this is asus p5wd2 premium.and have only one pcie (x1,short pcie as lick protools pcie)and tow pcie (x16,this is taler than pcie x1,about 15cm).i use pcie x1 for hd core pcie and one of this pcie x16 used for graphic card,and othar one is free.now can i use it for hd accel.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM

OK

I read the manual for your motherboard and there are 3 PCIe options

Auto: System optimises the card speeds
x4 : This setting shuts off the x1 card
x2 : both slots are x2

I am guessing that option 3 will be the most stable and you'll be might able to go HD2. Please post back your results
Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 PM
SPAM

hi bitmangler.yeh i test and use my hd2 with asus p5wd2 premium,hd core in pcie x1 and hd accel in pcie x16 slut.and bios setup in auto mod.its work perfectly.also i am trying to x2 mod working i think also this is beter than auto mode,until this time (about 3 day working)this is not have any problem in x2 mod.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:19 PM

When it comes to PCIe, there are two "specs" to pay attention to: the physical slot size, and the electrical size.
The physical size is easy- look at the board, and 99% of the time, if it is a width of 16, then ANY size PCIe card will fit. The HD PCIe cards are 1 width.

Electrical is the tricky one! As an example, you might see three PCIe slots, and all three are 16 wide physical. But, this does NOT mean they are 16 wide electrical. IN fact, chances are, at least one is far less, most likely 8 or less. Popular configs might be: 2 full 16 wide physical and electrical, typically intended for graphics card use, SLI or otherwise. Then you might have an 8 wide and another 8 wide. Or, maybe a 16 wide for graphics, then an 8 wide, 4 wide and 4 wide. Each PCIe "buss" is able to be 16 wide electrically. It can be split across slots. So, you could have two 16 wide busses, and us eone for graphics, and then split the remaining 16 wide between whatever you want. Real world and chipset allowances will enter in at this point, of course.

But, for your purposes and question: HD PCIe cards are only 1 wide, physically and electrically. They will work in any properly powered standard PCIe slot. Check Digi support, and motherboard, of course, before powering up and trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 AM

Yea keep it in x2 mode because in Auto mode there is dynamic allocation of bandwidth .
Folks ,is there any benchmark raga2000 could run like DaveC test so that performance with respect to a mac can be compared .Nikki could you give some pointers ?