Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-16-2021, 11:54 AM

Default Using output 3/input3 on my Focusrite to send/return

I'm trying to use PT and my Focusrite 4i4 interface to send a guitar signal from one track to a wah pedal and then back in to record on another track. So I set the output of the original track to Output 3 (Outputs 1 & 2 go to my monitors) and then put that into the wah and the output of the wah I plug into input 2. But all I get is a high-pitched whine. I tried putting the output into my amp and the correct signal is being sent so I know I'm sending the signal right - it seems to be the return that's messed up. What am I doing wrong? This is my first time attempting to use any outboard gear.

I also tried going from the out into the wah and then into the amp and micing the amp but I'm getting a lot of feedback even with the monitors off, so no idea what's going on there. I even get feedback when I turn off the mic(?).
Old 05-16-2021, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Using output 3/input3 on my Focusrite to send/return

The noise you describe certainly sounds like feedback, and I suspect a feedback loop is happening. Give that the Focusrite probably has some routing utility going on in the background, I'd start by checking that for a problem(because your connections seem to be correct).

Having said that, most guitar players I know(including myself) would simply use the wah pedal on the way in instead of afterwards. Otherwise, I would try a plugin wah pedal(Amplitube has several)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2021, 05:36 PM

Thanks Dave. I was trying to dial in a wah that I couldn't quite get while playing but that may be the ultimate answer. I'd still like to get the send/receive working though as it's a model for processing out of the box.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:09 PM

I haven't done this but my understanding is that the output from you interface (Scarlet 4i4) is line level. The wah pedal operates at instrument level as does a guitar plugged into an input. The preamp on the input can compensate for the difference in levels so that you can record instrument level into the track. The problem I see is that a line level signal coming out of your interface is not adequate to drive the wah pedal's input. Wah pedal inputs are finicky in that they interact with the load from the guitar's pickups. Since you interfaces output will not have the similar pickup loading, the wah will not respond as desired. Often to do this type of setup (out from the interface for instrument level processing and back into the interface) you would need a reamp type device. Radial makes some devices specifically for this purpose. I hope this helps.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1