Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-16-2021, 07:33 AM

Default Re: how to get to 16 channels?

Dominic,
I have plenty of outboard pres so I don't need the mic pres on either the Carbon or whatever 2nd unit I buy. I really just need the line-ins. And if I can get that to 24 rather than 16, I'll go that route because I'm fine with being limited to 44.1 and 48.

I brought up the MOTU 16A because it seems a good compromise of price/quality/channels. For $1500, it gives me an extra 16 line-ins and only eats up one rack space. Everything else you listed would cost me more to get to 16 channels (except the Focusrite and I'm just not a fan of their lower end stuff).

I'm definitely open to something other than the MOTU though. I just don't know what sub-$2000 units will give me 16 channels and better AD/DA than the MOTU.

The Ferrofish Pulse 16 has been mentioned to me here and elsewhere. Does that have better conversion than the MOTU 16A?
Old 05-16-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
;I am not a big fan of using a full-blown interface as an expander for another full-blown interface. The reason being all the extra software needed to make it work(yes, I have done it in the past). That's why I recommend devices that are built just for expansion purposes. You connect the lightpipe(s), set clocking correctly and add the IO on the Pro Tools IO grid and you're done
Are there any 16 channel expanders? I'm all for uncomplicating things. If it's important to know, I don't need the preamps, just need the line-ins. Also, I'd like to keep the cost to $2K or less.

Can you expand a bit on the issue of "extra software needed to make it work"?
One of the reasons I want to move from the Apollo X16 to the Carbon is to shed the UA Console software. I'd like to handle everything within ProTools and not have to worry about other software, if possible.

Last edited by JTC111; 05-16-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
Dominic,
I have plenty of outboard pres so I don't need the mic pres on either the Carbon or whatever 2nd unit I buy. I really just need the line-ins. And if I can get that to 24 rather than 16, I'll go that route because I'm fine with being limited to 44.1 and 48.

I brought up the MOTU 16A because it seems a good compromise of price/quality/channels. For $1500, it gives me an extra 16 line-ins and only eats up one rack space. Everything else you listed would cost me more to get to 16 channels (except the Focusrite and I'm just not a fan of their lower end stuff).

I'm definitely open to something other than the MOTU though. I just don't know what sub-$2000 units will give me 16 channels and better AD/DA than the MOTU.

The Ferrofish Pulse 16 has been mentioned to me here and elsewhere. Does that have better conversion than the MOTU 16A?
Ferrofish Pulse 16 is a simple answer - they seem to studiously avoid publishing THD or S/N specs. SoundOnSound have tested the DX version, which from what I can tell is the same box, plus Dante. It uses the same Cirrus Logic A/D and D/A and the same OpAmps (from Ferrofish website) so it makes sense that it is essentially the same box (+/- Dante).
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...e-16-dx?page=2
My main concern would not be the THD or S/N specs, but the maximum input level of 20dB, which may be a pain if you have really hot mic pres. In this regard the MOTU is better (as well as THD and S/N specs).

Not a lot else out there with 16 channels which isn't more expensive. So perhaps your original suggestion is, in fact, the best idea!
Old 05-16-2021, 10:35 AM

I run the 16A with Carbon. The +24dBu input max is a perfect match to Carbon, the +20dBu output max is 4dBu lower on the MOTU, but if I'm running that hot on an output it's most likely 2-bus via the Carbon's monitor out.

If I'm using any 'interface pres' they'll be the Carbon's, they're very good, I want pure conversion on the expander. The MOTU can be set as a dedicated analog-to-adat and adat-to-analog box, I just save one set-up for routing up to 48k, another for up to 96k and recall them via web browser.

The 16A conversion is the best you'll find anywhere near that price point and it makes for a very capable 2U, 24 in/32 out Pro Tools rack.
Apple MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro 16GB 1TB 2021
Old 05-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
I run the 16A with Carbon. The +24dBu input max is a perfect match to Carbon, the +20dBu output max is 4dBu lower on the MOTU, but if I'm running that hot on an output it's most likely 2-bus via the Carbon's monitor out.

If I'm using any 'interface pres' they'll be the Carbon's, they're very good, I want pure conversion on the expander. The MOTU can be set as a dedicated analog-to-adat and adat-to-analog box, I just save one set-up for routing up to 48k, another for up to 96k and recall them via web browser.

The 16A conversion is the best you'll find anywhere near that price point and it makes for a very capable 2U, 24 in/32 out Pro Tools rack.
Thanks for that info. That's very helpful!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that information how you set it up. You also have a very nice backup interface if carbon falls out at anytime (nobody hopes for that, but could happen).

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Today I ordered the Carbon and the MOTU 16A. Waiting on the snakes I'll need to get hooked up is going to delay my getting up and running, but can you give me some insight as to how you created dual routing to go between 48K and 96K?
Old 05-19-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
Today I ordered the Carbon and the MOTU 16A. Waiting on the snakes I'll need to get hooked up is going to delay my getting up and running, but can you give me some insight as to how you created dual routing to go between 48K and 96K?
It just drops the last 8 ADAT inputs when switching to 88.2/96k
I personally use a Apogee AD16X feeding in to the ADAT inputs on the Carbon. I also use the Apogee as the clock master. Make sure to run a clock cable between the interfaces and pick one to be the master.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
It just drops the last 8 ADAT inputs when switching to 88.2/96k
I personally use a Apogee AD16X feeding in to the ADAT inputs on the Carbon. I also use the Apogee as the clock master. Make sure to run a clock cable between the interfaces and pick one to be the master.
If it works like that for me, I'll be joyful. I love simple.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:04 PM

The eagles have landed.