Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Post MIDI cable

1) Does the Eleven Rack have real 5-pin MIDI connections or just 5-pin with 3 active MIDI connections?

2) Using a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro - which cable (e.g., Brand and type) to use?

3) Could connecting a 5-Pin ACTIVE MIDI cable to an Eleven Rack cause malfunction or damage to the 11R?

Where did you purchase (Online) your MIDI cable from? (I am working in Shanghai, China - so I have to purchase online gear)

(PLEASE do not add different MIDI controllers to these questions)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Re: MIDI cable

copy and paste from the manual

1)The MIDI In and MIDI Out ports are standard
5-pin MIDI ports, each providing 16 channels of
MIDI input or output. These ports can interface
with a variety of MIDI devices.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 AM

Musicians Friend or Sweetwater...or if you get over to Hong Kong they used have good stores (back in 1978) when I lived there...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 AM

Okay, no matter which MIDI phantom power-capable foot controller you have (be it the GC Pro, Rocktron, Bradshaw, Mario's stuff or any other that uses a real MIDI cable), they are designed so that power comes DOWN from a device providing power, TO the pedal, on the unused pins. Mario's and the GC Pro use 5 pin, where the Rocktron and Bradshaw stuff still use the older 7-pin standard.

However, if you plug an adapter directly into the pedal itself, I don't believe that it mults that voltage to those unused pins. Meaning, it shouldn't be sending voltage back up to the 11R from the pedal.

I'll have to see if I can find out for sure - I don't know because I built a box for myself that powers the GC Pro remotely from the 11R rack, and thus those hot pins never reach the 11R in the first place. Anything else I have that I plug the GC Pro or the MIDImate into phantom powers them (either my Bradshaw rig or my Mario switcher).

I'll see if I can find out for you, but I don't think it's a big deal. I have a bunch of old Tascam MIDI cables that are fully pinned that I use for gigging with phantom power (you have to love old Tascam cabling - they followed a spec, boy

S..

Scofield...
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Halley View Post
Okay, no matter which MIDI phantom power-capable foot controller you have (be it the GC Pro, Rocktron, Bradshaw, Mario's stuff or any other that uses a real MIDI cable), they are designed so that power comes DOWN from a device providing power, TO the pedal, on the unused pins. Mario's and the GC Pro use 5 pin, where the Rocktron and Bradshaw stuff still use the older 7-pin standard.

However, if you plug an adapter directly into the pedal itself, I don't believe that it mults that voltage to those unused pins. Meaning, it shouldn't be sending voltage back up to the 11R from the pedal.

I'll have to see if I can find out for sure - I don't know because I built a box for myself that powers the GC Pro remotely from the 11R rack, and thus those hot pins never reach the 11R in the first place. Anything else I have that I plug the GC Pro or the MIDImate into phantom powers them (either my Bradshaw rig or my Mario switcher).

I'll see if I can find out for you, but I don't think it's a big deal. I have a bunch of old Tascam MIDI cables that are fully pinned that I use for gigging with phantom power (you have to love old Tascam cabling - they followed a spec, boy

S..
Sean,

Are you saying your 11R powers the GC Pro right from the midi cable? I'd love this feature. I currently either have to power the pedal with the A/C adapater or have it powered by using my GCX audio switcher. It powers the GC Pro via midi but I really don't need the GCX with the 11R but have to keep it in my loop to power the GC Pro (i don't have a separate a/c adapter )
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but take a lok at this setup-

http://www.rocktron.com/products/acc...icable5to7pin/
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
I don't know if this will work for you or not, but take a lok at this setup-

http://www.rocktron.com/products/acc...icable5to7pin/
Please note, on this wire for those of you who are interested, the end that plugs into the pedal to provide power is 7 pin. It's been a while since I looked but I believe the "Midi Out" of the GC Pro is 5 pin which would not accept this wire although it may work great for other midi pedals. I actually have this wire from my Lexicon R1/TC Electronic G-Force days, worked very well.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Halley View Post
I don't know because I built a box for myself that powers the GC Pro remotely from the 11R rack, and thus those hot pins never reach the 11R in the first place.
Sean, what is the pinout in your solution. I would also like to have one cable less on floor.

I have 11R with GC Pro, but the adapter is for 120V and we have 230V in Norway.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 PM

fixed it, I found it in this thread:
http://www.voodoolab.com/forum/viewt...om+power#p2618
Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Answered here with pics:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=283465

Only the three normal pins go to the 11R. The power adapter only goes to the other two unused pins on the jack going to the GC Pro, and all 5 pins are connected to the GC Pro via a fully-pinned MIDI cable. Thus, the voltage from the adapter never touches the 11R side of the little box.

Make sense?

By the way Jerry, the GC Pro MIDI Out is 7-pin, but accepts both 5-pin and 7-pin phantom power coming into it - pretty much anything you throw at it should work. The 5-to-7-pin adapters were originally created to allow 7-pin Rocktron and Bradshaw controllers to work with the newer 5-pin phantom power spec the newer guys were moving to, not the other way around.

Hope that helps...

S..

Scofield...