Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Default Re: PT8 CPU Usage

... I meant VIs heavy session...

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMi View Post
... I meant VIs heavy session...
What do you call 'heavy'?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
What do you call 'heavy'?
VI's heavy session = many Virtual Instruments (either RTAS or VSTi) used in a session.

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
...So, Broman2999, what is the CPU Usage on your "machine" (in Windows Task Manager) with PT8 Edit and Mix windows opened or with those widows minimized?...

BTW, I installed Win 7 on two partitions and I am testing it with different configurations.
PT8 is more stable - in my first tests. CPU Usage is lower when idling, drops down much more when I minimize Edit window, than Mix window. I can still see big jumps in CPU Usage during playback, for no reason, but have not experienced any Buffer warnings, nor any crashes.
I have not tested yet any VSTi heavy session, though.

"Bump" means you have not gotten any response to your question and you repeat it requesting some reaction from lazy readers

Windows 7 looks great and behaves pretty well
Hey yeah I checked when I got home this evening...With the mix and edit windows up, my PT system resources claims to only be using 7%, but when I look in my Windows TM it is hovering around 30%. When I minimize, it drops down to 0-3%. My rig does okay, but it doesn't perform as well as 7.3 that's for sure. It chugs along though. I have to keep my buffer size at 512 or 1024, anything lower and it stops constantly!

When is Windows 7 supposed to come out for sale?

Who's up for a free plug-in for every quarter that this problem isn't solved?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
VI's heavy session = many Virtual Instruments (either RTAS or VSTi) used in a session.
Many meaning 10, 20, 100?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Hey Digi,
How about a free plug in to all of us who bought your product but can't hardly use it because of we don't have the 'fix' for this problem yet? How about one free one for every quarter that this problem continues to exist? You'd be alright in my book.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg6794 View Post
it's when you post a new "blank" post in a thread to "bump" it back to the top of the thread list in hopes that more people will notice it there rather than buried on the Nth page. :)

Just how do I do that?... I notice we're off the top page again! I don"t know how to do a blank one, just replies within the thread. Willing to start a new thread soon titled "Longterm high PT8 CPU Usage and total lack of help from DIGI...."
There has been NOTHING from DTS for some weeks now on this thread...

Really fine idea Broman2999... a free plug-in for every quarter I can't use this software that I paid for in December 2008.... by the time they sort it out I may well own all their plug-ins........!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seyler View Post
Just how do I do that?... I notice we're off the top page again! I don"t know how to do a blank one, just replies within the thread. Willing to start a new thread soon titled "Longterm high PT8 CPU Usage and total lack of help from DIGI...."
There has been NOTHING from DTS for some weeks now on this thread...

Really fine idea Broman2999... a free plug-in for every quarter I can't use this software that I paid for in December 2008.... by the time they sort it out I may well own all their plug-ins........!
I haven't had anything new to report other than repeats of my previous posts in that 'we're working on it'. As I mentioned before, this has to go through some testing cycles and we have several other issue fixes that are being rolled into the same release, so that's why it's taking so long.

I'm doing everything I can to speed up the process, but I don't call the shots around here, unfortunately.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
Many meaning 10, 20, 100?
...It depends on the system capabilities...

For some a 200 lbs man is heavy, for some he is not.

300 lbs man could be to heavy for a bicycle, but OK for a pickup truck , etc, etc...

Old 05-21-2009, 01:23 PM

okay...... I think the question was what is "heavy" for you?