Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Did Antares just commit profressional suicide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossH View Post
Obligatory...

http://www.oldeenglish.org/podcast/akon-calls-t-pain

Warning: This will get stuck in your head!

OMG. Butternut Reduction. LOL.

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Maby Jay-Z complain about AutoTune because he didn't think of using it first.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM

whats funny about it is every1 dogs on the way its being used, which for example (T-Pain etc..) is not being used to correct the key. It's really an effect. There are plenty of artist that use it today but its used properly that you don't notice. I didn't hear the world complaining when Black Street used the talk box...

Mac : IMac 3.0 ghz/OSX 10.6.8/Mbox Mini/PT 7.4.2

DAW : Pro Tools 7.4.2 - Mbox Mini

www.myspace.com/michaelondon
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichael.london View Post
whats funny about it is every1 dogs on the way its being used, which for example (T-Pain etc..) is not being used to correct the key. It's really an effect. There are plenty of artist that use it today but its used properly that you don't notice. I didn't hear the world complaining when Black Street used the talk box...
I agree.

You guys can talk about how T-Pain or Jay-Z are terrible artists. I'll be happy to join that discussion. But dissing them just based on auto-tune makes you sound like you don't really know what makes them bad.

They're not using auto-tune to correct their pitch and make them sound like betters singers per se: they're using it because they have bad taste in music and effects.
- Mac OS X 10.5.8, Pro Tools LE 8.0.1;
- Addictive Drums 1.1.0, POD Farm, Kontakt 3.5, Melodyne Plugin, Sonalksis (All), T-Racks 3 Deluxe;
Issues:
Random errors of Lost Communication, invalid clock and RTAS CPU (even below 25% usage).
D-Verb 2.0 test:
About 55 (11 tracks) at 1024.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 PM

I recently lost my Waves Tune plugin (which itself was a copy of Melodyne) and returned to using Auto Tune. I upgraded to the new Auto Tune Evo and I have to say it's pretty damn great! Basically they took all the cool Melodyne stuff and added it on top of Auto Tune 5, all in one window. You can either work the old Auto Tune way, the Melodyne way, or a combo, very flexible and sounds much better with Formant shifting. All the super whack "AutoTuning" effects on all the lame radio songs now really makes it seem they are not serious.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBnoGood View Post
I agree.

You guys can talk about how T-Pain or Jay-Z are terrible artists. I'll be happy to join that discussion. But dissing them just based on auto-tune makes you sound like you don't really know what makes them bad.

They're not using auto-tune to correct their pitch and make them sound like betters singers per se: they're using it because they have bad taste in music and effects.
That was my point: It's being used as a gimmick. Artists with real talent don't need gimmicks.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
That was my point: It's being used as a gimmick. Artists with real talent don't need gimmicks.
You could use that closed minded statement to defend the bigots who used to say Jimi Hendrix use of amps connected in series, to create distortion, was a "gimmick", and that real guitar players didn't need "gimmicks".

I'm not saying T-pain is like Jimi Hendrix! I'm saying that, in music and entertainment, people seem to have a very short memory about history.

The way you're saying it, you're assuming that ANYONE who shows up and uses something different to create a different sound, no matter how talented they are, is ALWAYS using a "gimmick" instead of using "real talent"....
- Mac OS X 10.5.8, Pro Tools LE 8.0.1;
- Addictive Drums 1.1.0, POD Farm, Kontakt 3.5, Melodyne Plugin, Sonalksis (All), T-Racks 3 Deluxe;
Issues:
Random errors of Lost Communication, invalid clock and RTAS CPU (even below 25% usage).
D-Verb 2.0 test:
About 55 (11 tracks) at 1024.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBnoGood View Post
they're using it because they have bad taste in music and effects.
Really...? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they have bad taste in music and effects, your tastes just differ. Blanket statements like that just make you look foolish.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 09-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Blanket statements like that just make you look foolish.
That is a particular skill that USBnogood has perfected..
Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Heh, well I can tell I'm not going to change any minds so I'll keep quiet. I've put in my 2 cents.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK