Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 02-25-2023, 10:46 AM

Default So which plug-ins give the most problems in Protools

So which plug-ins give the most problems in Protools
Time and time again when I post about the plethora of issues this ancient software seems to have despite being one of the oldest so should be deep into stability I get the usual chorus of voices that all say…
“It must be one of your plug-ins!”

I played this five hour game of taking them all out and putting them in one by one… And the truth is the randomness of this problem doesn’t seem to be able to be pinpointed with this time-consuming yet repeated method that the Boffins of the DUC love to invoke.
And yes I know which plug-ins are CPU intensive… That’s not the issue… But just to clarify when I use these CPU intensive plug-ins on another DAW I see the usage go up and yet besides digital Stutter and crackle the whole session doesn’t crash to the ground needing to be restarted… Sound familiar friends?

Sometimes I’ll run a session at 64 without noticing a problem or even realizing I’m still at 64 other times I can’t get something to play without these error messages and then the flashing and stupid in accurate CPU bar…

And I will repeat my tired response to these people as in the same plug-ins work fine in other DAW’s I do not have to walk on a knife edge while using them

So anyone want to chime in on a plug and they found to be problematic and can really identify that as an issue… Like I said I have mostly waves arteria some UAD nothing too wacky but still… These all work in other DAW in yet Protools it’s always an issue… That’s never easily repeatable

Anyone found A distinctly anti-Protools problematic plug-in?

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 02-26-2023, 11:57 AM

Default Re: So which plug-ins give the most problems in Protools

I'm not sure there is a real answer to this question. The worst plugins will be:
A-outdated
B-[*******]
C-installed incorrectly(maybe to the wrong drive or folder)
D-The last type that can give headaches are those that are really power hungry(maybe coupled with a computer that is under-spec'd). An example of this is KeyScape(specifically their Yamaha C7 grand). My system(details below) runs great under most conditions, but that plugin will drag it to its knees. My final solution was/is to use MiniGrand while recording and editing midi. Once that is all good, I swap plugins to KeyScape and commit the track. Ozone is another power hog.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by JFreak; 02-26-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: edited for obvious reason
Old 02-26-2023, 12:05 PM

I tend to agree. I don't know if there's a particular worst. The simplest tend to be the least problematic. It's when plugin devs try to create their own ecosystem that issues arise. And I also find that things can become corrupt. If a system halts or becomes unresponsive at the moment that a preference file is being written to... it can become corrupt... bye-bye plugin. Simple ones, well-written (like Massey's) are never an issue. Complex ones (like Acustica's, which are often poorly-coded) are what give me trouble. El Rey, in particular, is almost unusable, even on a Mac Studio Ultra.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:43 PM

I agree with Dave and Eric, badly designed/coded/maintained plugins. They should be on your list, Dave.

Acustica Audio - my worst experience with plugin manufacturer to date. Izotope, but that was years ago, haven't used them since.

But to the OP; yes, plugins do break PT sometimes, but you might be lucky and never have a problem.

My latest was Pulsar Echorec. They have a new version supposed to be universal binary for apple silicon - crashes PT at launch every time.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I agree with Dave and Eric, badly designed/coded/maintained plugins. They should be on your list, Dave.

Acustica Audio - my worst experience with plugin manufacturer to date. Izotope, but that was years ago, haven't used them since.

But to the OP; yes, plugins do break PT sometimes, but you might be lucky and never have a problem.

My latest was Pulsar Echorec. They have a new version supposed to be universal binary for apple silicon - crashes PT at launch every time.
I would have included, but I have no experience with those mentioned(so I escaped their misery)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Izotope, but that was years ago, haven't used them since.
Izotope plugs generally function ok for me, but their product manager is absolute crap.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:30 AM

following crash frequently in audiosuite:

pitch n time (when modifying lots of parameters quickly)
ultravoice pro (same as above)
blackhole (seems to have improved in the past year)
altiverb (seems to have improved in the past year)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:13 AM

I have never had a single problem with Blackhole and simply put I love it. AIR plugins however just went to dumpster -- I don't even care if they manage to release Apple Silicon native versions or not, they are history.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:43 AM

Problematic plugs here:

Acustica Audio - Silver eats small CPUs for breakfast, and mulitcores for dinner (but it sounds sooooo goooooooood)
Sonivox old plugs - will not play unless clip is selected in edit window
New Rob Papen 3PL - 100% glitch when shifting sound

Some plugs seems to have some sort of process going for them in the background, assumed pertaining to license/copy protection (Antares, YUM?). Is there common knowledge who those plug-firms are? I dont like invasive background stuff.

/T
Old 02-27-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
Some plugs seems to have some sort of process going for them in the background, assumed pertaining to license/copy protection (Antares, YUM?). Is there common knowledge who those plug-firms are? I dont like invasive background stuff.
Suspect anything that does not use iLok.