Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2022, 04:50 PM

Default What happens when HD Native PCIE is no longer supported?

I know it's possible that no one knows for certain, but perhaps someone with experience with end of life products might share their knowledge.

I have a HD OMNI and HD Native PCIE card running on windows. I've really loved this combo, it's been very solid and given me very few issues for ten years.

Sadly, the OMNI is dying. The gain control on mic pres no longer work and the fan is dead.

I've slowly been looking around for a replacement combo but I'm not really sure what direction to take. Originally I thought I would just buy another HDN/HDX interface and just replace the OMNI, but with the HDN PCIE being unsupported mid next year I don't want to be caught out with a device that doesn't work or tied to a specific version of PT.

One thought I had was to buy an interface like the Focusrite Red 8Pre which has DigiLink, thunderbolt and Dante, then run it on the DigiLink until it no longer works, then switch over to one of the other two. I'm on PC, I'm not sure how well the other two compare performance-wise or even if they are a viable option.

I feel like the cost of a HDX card on top of a new interface is too much money for me at this point in time.

Sorry for the long post, I appreciate all who take the time to read it.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:29 PM

Default Re: What happens when HD Native PCIE is no longer supported?

If all you have is one Omni then just go buy a nice USB interface. The Omni doesn't really do anything that a good USB interface won't and is a lot more faffing around with DigiLink. I'm not sure why running on DigiLink is even important. It would be if you had multiple DigiLink boxes, or were running HDX, but with just an Omni and HD native that is starting to have problems I'd be ditching DigiLink. I'd be selling the card and the Omni (as is with problems) and putting towards a new interface.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If all you have is one Omni then just go buy a nice USB interface. The Omni doesn't really do anything that a good USB interface won't and is a lot more faffing around with DigiLink. I'm not sure why running on DigiLink is even important. It would be if you had multiple DigiLink boxes, or were running HDX, but with just an Omni and HD native that is starting to have problems I'd be ditching DigiLink. I'd be selling the card and the Omni (as is with problems) and putting towards a new interface.
Thanks for the reply. So you don't think there's any advantage in using the HD native card vs USB? What about CPU, latency, track count?

Previously I had a USB interface and it was terrible, switch to the HDX and it was amazing. Again, we're talking ten years ago, a lot has changed.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:07 PM

Nope. To me DigiLink/HD Native would be more a boat anchor not a benefit with low-end setups. It's a benefit still if folks have racks full of DigiLink interfaces, need > 64 IO, or want to run HDX for its reasons.

To me the advantage it offered/offers was really a well done interface driver that is/was exercised well against Pro Tools... well because it historically *was* Pro Tools HD's interface.

A well done USB or Thunderbolt interface with well done driver will do just as good, maybe better. I'm a big fan of RME interfaces, largely because their drivers and stuff are so good and solid, but they are not alone. And RME interfaces have pretty low latencies. The $1,600 Fireface UCX II is probably the closest equivalent to the Omni (but with more real I/O) but I think the higher end models are better value for money (I have a UFX+ and several MADI outboard boxes).

Track count etc. are all tied to the software license, not whether you use Digilink or ASIO/CoreAudio.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:28 AM

I'll respectfully disagree on HD/Native vs a USB interface. But, having said that, your exact needs should be considered. How many IO do you need? If you work solo, then I would think about a used 192(they still work fine), a monitor controller(Audient Nero or Presonus Monitor Station 2?) and a killer 2-channel mic pre(maybe the Warm Audio 273).

My opinion is based on my own experience with several setups. Previously, I was using a Presonus Studio 1820C, which was okay(but I am not a fan of most of the 3rd party software required for routing). A few years ago, I switched from a DIGI003 to HDN and on that same computer, performance got a serious step up(absolutely no other change). Anyway, last year, I had the chance to get another HDN card, so I grabbed a used 192 and a Behringer ADA8200(already had a monitor controller) and plan on running this till I retire. I also run PC.

The one USB option I would take over this would be something from RME as they have the best drivers and probably the best routing software(but that would have cost more than my HDN hardware).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-09-2022, 11:32 AM

Dave in those cost calculations, many folks with low-end Digilink setups are running HD/Ultimate for no reason other than Digilink support and paying annual support/update on that… and I expect many could do fine on Studio with a good CoreAudio or ASIO interface. Not that in my mind it’s really a matter of switching, mostly if it’s running fine then leave things be and get work done, I doubt costs will make many people change but when comparing costs…
Old 06-09-2022, 12:32 PM

The HDN card will likely never lose actual driver support since it is the same driver as for HDX. I wouldn't worry about that.

The other choices/decisions are your own.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:48 PM

Thanks everybody for your replies. Here are specific details about what it is that I do.

I am primarily a composer. My workflow is often very high track counts, mostly sample libraries, lots of midi/instrument tracks. Lot's of Kontakt, omnisphere, etc. I also have video running most of the time.

My workflow requires me to make lots of changes to the midi so I rarely bounce individual tracks or use track freeze. CPU is and avoiding CPU errors is very important to me because that interrupts my workflow.

As for IO the HD OMNI has be sufficient. Having said that a few more inputs would be useful. I don't really need to record a whole drum kit. A stereo pair of mics meets most of my needs. I do use a few hardware synths, and stompboxes.

SPDIF is a not a deal breaker but it's the best for my Kemper amp.

Current PC Specs are:
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12
RAM: 64 GB (4 x 16GB) PC4-19200 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Drives: All Samsung SSD 860 EVOs

My assumption was that the HDN card was doing the heavy lifting but now I'm not so sure. Prior to this conversation my thought was the HDN would stop being supported next year (as per AVIDs documentation) so I would need a replacement along with the interface.

I have no preference over what I use as long as it gets the job done.

My local dealer has an Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core at a very good price (about 25% off) which looks perfect for my needs. This would have to be used as a USB2 device but I'm not adverse to adding a Thunderbolt card to my PC if needed.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:18 PM

I'd caution you away from Antelope if you like your stuff to last/be supported.
I'd suggest going RME.

The HDN card pretty much only provides a pass through to the hardware attached. It isn't a particularly strong "performer."
As for thunderbolt, I don't see support for your mobo but the chipset looks like it does. Just don't count on it being possible unless you know for certain (It'd need an alpine ridge daughter board and BIOS/UEFI that supports bifurcation.) But your demands aren't high. USB2 should do just fine to 64 channels. And you have USB3 (which has enough bandwidth to get way bigger)
Old 06-09-2022, 05:04 PM

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I'd caution you away from Antelope if you like your stuff to last/be supported.
I'd suggest going RME.

Is that still true of Antelope? I have no confirmation bias, no preference, I was seeing a lot of post about issues and mediocre support but then I started to notice that most of those posts were quiet old, perhaps they've upped their game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
USB2 should do just fine to 64 channels. And you have USB3 (which has enough bandwidth to get way bigger)
I assume you mean 64 channels as in simultaneous recording, not track count? If it's track count I would get way over that.