Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-20-2023, 05:21 PM

Default Input/Output not recognized when trying to enable record

When I try to record enable a track I get this message. I've set the playback engine, and the I/O settings many times. I have a Zoom L-8 mixer/audio interface. I can get it to work sometimes, but then it won't work on a new session.

I have checked the settings from the successful session and tried to duplicate that into the new session, but without success. any ideas would be helpful.

I have a new Macbook Pro M2 2023 Venture 13.2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 3.37.46 PM.jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-20-2023, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Input/Output not recognized when trying to enable record

Hi welcome to DUC.

The error is telling you *exactly* what is wrong. The most common newish user cause of this is likely there not being an output path that actually goes anywhere.

You need to provide more details. Starting with what *exactly* are the track input and output selectors set to?

Do those I/O names match what you expect?

Doublecheck the interface is selected as the playback engine, and only the interface, you are not using an aggregate device, etc.

Go to Setup>I/O and each of on the input, output, bus pages select and delete all exiting I/O paths and then press the default button. Did doing that that change what was showing on those pages before?

Now go back to the track and change the track I/O selectors to be correct.

Record arm the track and press the transport record and play buttons.

... much of this sounds like you are doing, but if its not working you may be doing something wrong. A very common confusing problem is the Playback Engine resets to the wrong thing when you restart Pro Tools, You have to always double check this. What *exact* Playback Engine are you selecting?

If that does not all help, then start more serious troubleshooting. Read under "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. Start with trashing prefs, use Pete Gates free PT Prefs Utility to make that easier, and testing from a newly created admin user account.

Still stuck, post screenshots of all your setup>I/O pages and the playback engine page, and the track showing the I/O selectors, post large clean screenshots (not photos of your display), to a photo/file sharing site (not on DUC) and put the links here (you may have problems for a few days posting replies, because of the antispam filter on DUC).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-20-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:41 PM

Ok, I think I figured it out through the resources on this page. I did some searching. It told me to set the parameters to stereo mix. I did that and it is working, now.

Thank you, Darryl Ramm, for your feedback, though. Hopefully it will keep working.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:55 PM

Uh you are using Pro Tools 2022.12 Intro? I realize you must be because you are on an Apple Silicon Mac, which I missed first time because you are posting in the legacy Pro Tools 12 product forum area. And just to confuse the heck out of new users Pro Tools 12 is very different than Pro Tools 2022.12.

If you have other problems please make precisely clear what version of Pro Tools you are running, Intro, Artist etc. and the release date code. And post in the best forum, here the main Pro Tools forum would have been a good choice.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-20-2023 at 06:57 PM.