Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-06-2021, 06:00 PM

Default GUI Lag when zooming in on drum tracks

I posted about this a while back and have some new info - heres a link to the old thread for reference - GUI lag thread

Im now on pro tools 2020.5 and OS 10.13.6. Computer is Quad Core 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro.

I experience serious jerky GUI lag and audio drive "thinking" noise (typical hard drive read and write sound) when zooming in past a certain level ON MY DRUM TRACKS. It will zoom in or out about one level every five second. IF I CONSOLIDATE THE TRACKS THE ISSUE GOES AWAY. There are a couple of edits on the tracks, but nothing crazy at all. This issue has persisted across several versions of pro tools and at least Sierra and High Sierra. Other than that this setup runs like a dream.

I cloned my drive and moved to Mojave a few days ago, but that was a -6101 error disaster, so I reverted back to my very stable current setup.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:26 PM

Default Re: GUI Lag when zooming in on drum tracks

More info -

If I switch from Waveform to Blocks view the issue goes away. So it appears this is an issue with the waveform rendering possibly.

If I quit Pro Tools and reopen the session the problem goes away.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 AM

I deleted WaveCache.wfm from my Shared/ProTools folder. The problem seems to have gone away (today will tell). The wavecache file has yet to regenerate itself, but Pro Tools is working fine. Hmm.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:41 AM

I've been seeing that for years. Right after I track drums when I start to do edits or zoom in to do a fade where there was a punch or edit, pro tools lags and can't keep up with the zoom factor. Even using the smart tool to do the fades had a huge lag to it. Kinda like back in the early days of pro tools LE when you had too many plugins on a session and the computer couldn't keep up.

Closing and reopening the session has been the only fix for me. Not fun. But it's what I've had to do.

I was seeing this on my old 2011 Mac Pro and I'm still seeing in on my new 2019 Mac Pro tower. And I'm on an HXD rig.

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 01-07-2021, 10:39 AM

Several things can cause that. Every now and then I get screen redraw issues like yours and they're related to the settings in the OS's System Preferences, Displays. I have my resolution set to Scaled and use the 2nd option from the left. This screen redraw issue typically goes away when I click to a different size setting and then back to the original.

FWIW, it also seems to affect the speed of my mouse. There's just a slight delay when this issue is present and that goes away with the Display toggle, too.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:10 PM

try launching PT in low-resolution mode. this happened to me back on an older version when I had 100+ playlists open while comping. PT cannot handle the graphics it seems.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:05 PM

Ive read about the low resolution trick, but I dont have an apple display, which I think is a necessary component. Im using a Samsung display and a ViewSonic display.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:23 PM

Try it anyways- helped without an apple display when it was bothering me.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:27 PM

I dont even see the option for it in the "Show Info" window. Im on high sierra if that matters.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:01 PM

Still battling this if anyone has any ideas. Now on OS 10.14.6 and Pro Tools 2021.7