Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 01-23-2023, 04:18 PM

Default 48v recall?

Is there a way to make the carbon retaij all mic pre settings including 48v ?

I would love to avoid having to to 48v on every time

Thanks !
Old 01-24-2023, 01:12 AM

Default Re: 48v recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofdreamx97 View Post

Thanks !
from the manual:
"Unlike other input channel parameters, phantom power is not restored when the device is powered off and back on. This protects connected microphones and equipment which may be configured differently when the device is powered back on".

There is, however, a setting in PT under Setup -> Hardware that allows you to Retain Mic Pre Settings.

Input channels also seem to retain the Mic Pre settings even if you swap sessions, without that checkbox being ticked.

I can't get this to work in any meaningful way. Powering down the Carbon and turning it back on again always clears the 48v on the channel. Sessions don't seem to retain their settings - instead the hardware channel retains its 48v status (either on or off) across sessions. The checkbox makes no difference to any of it.
I'm checking using the 2022.12 AS beta, so perhaps its different in Rosetta.

EDIT: Just tried in Rosetta - seems to be the same.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 01-24-2023 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks !
The Carbon no the session yes
As Dominic noted on the Carbon Hardware itself,, when you power it off with even the Phantom Power on --It will be off when you power the Carbon back on.

However the 48v Phantom Power (on) state , will be retained and will automatically come on in a session if you save it with it on (with out having to physically press the button on the Carbon unit or press the 48v box in the mic pre section of the mix window channel ,,, the session will automatically launch with it on and with the preamp gain settings also

Same if you have setup a session template and save it as a template with the 48v on ,,, it will also launch with it on, as well as the the preamp gain settings.

So because I always use one of my templates for a new session and have everything setup (including which mic channels need phantom power on ) I basically never have to touch the 48v button on the unit itself or click anything in the PT input channel mic pre section

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-26-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
The Carbon no the session yes
As Dominic noted on the Carbon Hardware itself,, when you power it off with even the Phantom Power on --It will be off when you power the Carbon back on.

However the 48v Phantom Power (on) state , will be retained and will automatically come on in a session if you save it with it on (with out having to physically press the button on the Carbon unit or press the 48v box in the mic pre section of the mix window channel ,,, the session will automatically launch with it on and with the preamp gain settings also

Same if you have setup a session template and save it as a template with the 48v on ,,, it will also launch with it on, as well as the the preamp gain settings.

So because I always use one of my templates for a new session and have everything setup (including which mic channels need phantom power on ) I basically never have to touch the 48v button on the unit itself or click anything in the PT input channel mic pre section
It's very odd but I cannot get mine to do this. I have the retain mic pre settings box checked and I'm using session templates with the mic pre settings saved. Anything else to check?

Thanks!

Nick
Old 02-10-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
It's very odd but I cannot get mine to do this. I have the retain mic pre settings box checked and I'm using session templates with the mic pre settings saved. Anything else to check?

Thanks!

Nick
Lets me check later today

Ok just checked So first I actually did not have the Hardware Set Up "Retain mic pre settings" box checked " ? And here is the weird part it appears that it does not work when you have this checked WTH ???????

But again the 48 v has to be on when you "Save as Template " And I leave the XLR's connectors and cables connected (no mic's but cable is connected ) for the two channels I use Phantom Power on and just checked if the XLR's and cables are not connected then it does not work ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-10-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Lets me check later today

Ok just checked So first I actually did not have the Hardware Set Up "Retain mic pre settings" box checked " ? And here is the weird part it appears that it does not work when you have this checked WTH ???????

But again the 48 v has to be on when you "Save as Template " And I leave the XLR's connectors and cables connected (no mic's but cable is connected ) for the two channels I use Phantom Power on and just checked if the XLR's and cables are not connected then it does not work ???
yep same behavior here. When I Uncheck the retain mic preamp settings box , and save the template with 48v engaged on whatever channels I want it stays in this state even if I restart or shutdown carbon / carbon pre / the computer.

I'm ok with this! as long as it retains 48v for me that's a time saver when firing up a template and getting right to work with my band.

Thanks!