Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Default One of my all time favourite songs, what makes it great youtube

Hi,

tracking details and more, about the song Rosanna by Toto.

No silly CLA plugins or brauerizing mix bus here, just pure talent and great engineers, the likes of Greg Ladanyi and Al Schmitt.

Worth a watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLoh8zHjGUI

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:03 PM

Default Re: One of my all time favourite songs, what makes it great youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
No silly CLA plugins
This is exactly what's wrong with the world today, people judging the work of others because of the tools they use which is what originally created the belief that the answer is in the tools 100% and not the talent.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:13 PM

Love it!!!

I am a HUGE ToTo fan aswell as Level 42, Chicago, Eart Wind & Fire which we saw LIVE last summer in a outdoor venue in Rimini Harbour and I still live off that performance! Sun was going down, 30C and views over Rimini Harbour with yachts and filled arena with people under 40 actually singing along to September and all the great songs they have! Just real awesome musicians having the time of their lives on stage ... No obscure DJ’s playing mp3 sets passing it off as playing ”live”

As se make songs for the top 20 radio artists everyone I mention my private music taste to goes WHAAAAAAT??? I love real music and thats just my taste!

There is a great docu series on US TV called Guitars Drum and bass from BBC with Stewart Copeland doing the first episode, Tina Weymouth episode 2 and episode 3/3 we got Lenny Kaye.

The 3 part series tell stories on how everything started which is fascinating and very well produced TV Documentary about great musicians and great music Check it out when you have time, well worth the 3 hours the mini series plays.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 PM

Such an amazingly engineered song and album. One of my favorites. I would love to get those raw tracks to attempt my own mix but it would never live up.

Hearing this song actually inspired me to want to be an engineer/mixer.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 PM

Let's not forget Toto had/has some amazing musicians. Jeff Porcaro is considered one of the best drummers there has been. That Rosanna beat is a staple in drum lessons.

QAPLA!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Love it!!!

I am a HUGE ToTo fan aswell as Level 42, Chicago, Eart Wind & Fire which we saw LIVE last summer in a outdoor venue in Rimini Harbour and I still live off that performance! Sun was going down, 30C and views over Rimini Harbour with yachts and filled arena with people under 40 actually singing along to September and all the great songs they have! Just real awesome musicians having the time of their lives on stage ... No obscure DJ’s playing mp3 sets passing it off as playing ”live”

As se make songs for the top 20 radio artists everyone I mention my private music taste to goes WHAAAAAAT??? I love real music and thats just my taste!

There is a great docu series on US TV called Guitars Drum and bass from BBC with Stewart Copeland doing the first episode, Tina Weymouth episode 2 and episode 3/3 we got Lenny Kaye.

The 3 part series tell stories on how everything started which is fascinating and very well produced TV Documentary about great musicians and great music Check it out when you have time, well worth the 3 hours the mini series plays.
Thoroughly enjoyed the recent BBC 3-part series (currently on iPlayer for those in UK as finale episode was just on last week) - great to see Tina Weymoth + ‘Stop Making Sense’ clips, as well as other great players.

Whilst I saw Level 42 at a music fesival a few years back, I had seen Mark King (‘and friends’) at Ronnie Scotts in London the previous year (by chance - was in town and managed to talk our way in to the sold out show) ... great experience to sit just a few feet away as he chatted to the audience (off mic) between songs :)