Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Default Stupid question about CHANGING METERS

Hi everyone, I'm so frustrated I could spit, but there are electronics everywhere so I won't. I have a session that's thousands of measures long with 37 songs in the session. In the middle of the session I need to change some meters and tempos to line things up the right way, but every time I make a change it messes the alignment of all the other markers, tempos and meters for the rest of the session. Is there a way of setting like track or chapter marker where nothing will be effected after a certain segment so I can just work within a particular segment of my session? I hope I'm expressing my question the right way. I need to change meter and tempos for one song in the middle of the session without it throwing everything else out of whack in the rest of the session.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Stupid question about changing meters

Hey Kfoody(nicse) Select(highlight) the section only where u need to make changes & make sure that when u change the tempos that its only that selected area...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 PM

It's not the tempo changes that are messing things up, it's the meter changes. I have measure markings and meter changes and tempos for an entire session and when I change Meters for a few measures from a 4/4 to a 3/4 and a 6/8 it throws off everything after it. Thanks for the quick reply though!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 PM

OH... Well that should be the same if I'm thinkin correctly... I done/do that quite a bit myself when mixing gospel sessions keeping all the songs on 1 session file...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Stupid question about CHANGING METERS

Yeah unfortunately it's not the same. So I have 3100+ measures and when I change the meter at M1879 from 3/4 to 1/4 for 4 measures it throws off the alignment and structure of all the stuff after it.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Wowww... Sorry I'm no help on this one.. don't kno why that wouldn't work b/c thatz the way I do it... & in the measure window ur not selecting the amount of bars/min-secs?... Dont mean to repeat questions but like I said I do this as well so thatz why I keep askin...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM

No I'm totally grateful for all your help.

It just seems like the only way to do it is to insert some time between the number I'm working on and the one after it. make whatever changes I need to make and then make the necessary adjustments in the blank space in between the numbers to compensate for the changes I just made so everything gets back on track. VERY FRUSTRATING.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Hi, hope I'm answering the correct question here, but here goes : You've got 31 songs in a LONG session, each with varying tempos and time signature changes... correct? Your problem is that when you input a different tempo or time signature in the timeline, everything past the marker you insert changes. Is that correct? If so, you'll need to make sure (as I think keybeets was getting at) that you set your start AND ending markers for the desired area. For example... if from bars 121-129 you want a tempo of 95 bpm and a time signature of 3/4, you're going to need to click on bar 121 in the time table, then click "tempo" on the left side, change the tempo in the dialog box. Then click "meter" on the left side and change it to 3/4. You MUST make sure that you're still selected at bar 121 to make it work correctly. (You can check this by looking at the transport.) Now, once your section at 95 bpm and 3/4 time is over... change the tempo/time signature back to what they were or what you want them to be next. You must make sure that you've placed these markers at the START and END of the section you want affected by them. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Here is a screen shot of what I just explained. I just tried it and it worked fine for me. I hope this is what you mean.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7117/picture1lxd.png
Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydunham View Post
If so, you'll need to make sure (as I think keybeets was getting at) that you set your start AND ending markers for the desired area.
Yeahppp...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY