Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Default Re: iPad

I just got off the road mixing monitors for Natalie Merchant using an SC-48 with 10 wedge mixes. I used my iPad with iTeleport VNC, formerly know as Jaadu VNC (sp?) http://www.iteleportmobile.com/. I plugged a Dell laptop into the ethernet port on the desk, after loading the Venue Remote Client software, I got the Dell talking to the desk, then got the iPad talking to the Dell using TightVNC http://www.tightvnc.com/ on the Dell. I also had a cheapo Belkin wireless router and just used it as a wireless access point.

iTeleport is $25 for the iPad but well worth it. I tried about three others and none operated as well as this. It's responsive and reliable. The band loved that I could do this and every house guy was way impressed, and that's what's important!

Using a Mac as the host computer is the simplest to setup. The PC takes a little more geek work but not too bad. I've also used this the same way with an M7CL but Studio Manager is a pain to use this way. I can't wait for Yamaha's Stage Mix for the iPad to be released later this year.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:31 AM

Default Re: OT

I'm using iTeleport - IMO the best VNC client for Ipad, and it works great.

There is a great need for a dedicated iPad app here. Partly because the Venue interface is not designed for touchscreen use, but also because it opens up a world of new control options for monitor mixing, system techs etc...

The Yamaha iPad app is killer for monitor engineers and takes full advantage of the interface and multi-touch capabilities of the device.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 AM

WOW!!!! I hadn't seen that Yamaha app yet. Come one Digi/Avid, we need something similar to that. VERY VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!

Chris
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Hey guys, I had a little confusion on this topic, if Chris or Area52 could detail the setup for wireless connectivity to the VENUE with an iPad and all connections, that would be great. My undertanding is this: get my laptop talking with my desk wirelessly, then remote control my laptop with my ipad using iTeleport? How does my ipad connect to my computer? Can my ipad connect to my wireless router, then vnc the laptop, is it that simple? So why Area52 do you use 2 VNCs; one on your ipad and one on the laptop? Thanks!!

Chris
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM

Chris...

The laptop is connected to the Venue via a cat 5 cable. Not wirelessly. I then connect BOTH the laptop and the iPad to the same wireless network. In my case, a Belkin Basic Wireless N router. iTeleport (on the iPad) needs TightVNC on the laptop in order to talk. You need to enter the laptop's IP address in iTeleport and set passwords in both iTeleport and TightVNC. The iTeleport site spells it all out in their tutorials.

That's about it. I would hope it's just a matter of timer before there's a Venue iPad app. Everyone will be putting something out.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Avid

Hi,

A separate laptop isn't required, as the VENUE system has a built-in VNC server.

All that's needed is to connect the console to a wireless router via an Ethernet cable, then use the iTeleport VNC client (note this is a different client app from the iTeleport remote desktop client, so check this before you purchase) to connect via wireless to the console.

Sheldon
Old 09-20-2010, 02:29 AM

Yeah, i'm with Sheldon - i'm not VNCing to my laptop, but directly to the Venue itself.

I just have a wireless access point connected to the Venue and have iTeleport talk directly to it.

Everything has Static IPs (i have always had trouble getting this to work properly with DHCP)
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 AM

Props to AVID with the simplicity of remotely controlling the console...I was using our PM5D the other day...it is rediculous trying to control the thing remotely. You gotta have one computer connected through the USB interface, then VNC to that machine from another device. Lame...

Much simpiler with VENUE...

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-10-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area52 View Post
I just got off the road mixing monitors for Natalie Merchant using an SC-48 with 10 wedge mixes. I used my iPad with iTeleport VNC, formerly know as Jaadu VNC (sp?) http://www.iteleportmobile.com/. I plugged a Dell laptop into the ethernet port on the desk, after loading the Venue Remote Client software, I got the Dell talking to the desk, then got the iPad talking to the Dell using TightVNC http://www.tightvnc.com/ on the Dell. I also had a cheapo Belkin wireless router and just used it as a wireless access point.

iTeleport is $25 for the iPad but well worth it. I tried about three others and none operated as well as this. It's responsive and reliable. The band loved that I could do this and every house guy was way impressed, and that's what's important!

Using a Mac as the host computer is the simplest to setup. The PC takes a little more geek work but not too bad. I've also used this the same way with an M7CL but Studio Manager is a pain to use this way. I can't wait for Yamaha's Stage Mix for the iPad to be released later this year.

Good luck!

Cool!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM

I have been using iteleport for about a week and it rocks. I frequently have to setup side of stage for large Corp events and being able to walk the room and adjust stuff is really cool. Thx for the built in vnc, now bring on the dedicated app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk