Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 08:17 PM

Default Entry Point Not Found

I keep getting the following error: (I have found a few similar posts but can't find a solution from them that works)

ProToolsFirst.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SetThreadDescription could not be located in the dynamic link Library C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools First\DigiPlatformSupport.dll.

See screenshot attached

New install for Pro Tools First 2021.7.0 - not an upgrade - no previous versions on this computer.

I have tried uninstalling and installing everything including Avid Link Multiple times. I have installed it on my C and D drives to see if it made a difference.

Ilok is installed and activated.

Alienware M18
Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz
8 GB ram
Windows 10 home - 64 bit
Attached Images
File Type: png PTF.PNG (24.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2021, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Entry Point Not Found

Hmmm, never seen that here. Some thoughts:
1-Pro Tools must be installed on the C: drive
2-You say you installed multiple times, so now maybe there are files all over the place causing issues. So a thorough drive cleanup is in order. Start with the Windows uninstaller. Then run CCleaner to clear the Registry(run it repeatedly until it finds no problems). Then explore the D: drive and delete any folders named Avid or Digidesign. Then reboot.
3-Its possible the download is/was corrupt so I would download fresh and run the installer again, using all the default options.
4-Once the installer finishes, you can choose to uninstall Avid Link(many of us do this).
5-Its possible that(if its still not working) your computer is just not a good match for PT. If you just gotta have PT, maybe another person will have a solution. If you simply want to make music, there are lots of options which are less finicky than PT. Take a look at Reaper(free to try, cheap to buy), Presonus Studio One Artist(inexpensive) and Cakewalk by Bandcamp(formerly known as Sonar) which is also free.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2021, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the response.

Pro Tools doesn't allow for it to be uninstalled by using the windows uninstaller for this version. In each case I used the setup file to uninstall, then used the windows uninstaller to remove avid link and avid cloud.

I then downloaded a fresh file, unzipped, and ran setup as administrator.

I tried doing this all again using your recommendation to run CCleaner and reinstalled everything. Still not working, I have Ableton Lite for now but really do want Pro Tools as I have had two previous versions years ago. Hopefully I will find a fix, I reached out to Avid support as well.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:48 AM

You actually can uninstall with the Windows uninstaller, but you have to dig down one more level. Right-click on Start>Apps and Features. On that window, look near the upper right corner for Related Settings and underneath that, click Programs and Features. Let that window load up(5-8 seconds), find Avid Pro Tools, right-click and select Change. That will allow you to uninstall PT. In the next window, you may be presented with 3 options of:
Pro Tools only
Pro Tools and HD driver
Pro Tools.....(basically everything)
In your case, I would check the 3rd option for a "complete" uninstall. Fingers crossed for ya

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-29-2021, 09:50 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

What is your OS version to be specific? Compatibility page here says that needs to be W10 build 21H1 only.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:31 AM

Thanks, this is the problem, I am on version 1607 and I can't update to any newer versions because it keeps failing. I have tried a lot of workarounds the last few days and the update just keep failing due to error code 0x80004005.

So frustrating.......
Old 10-30-2021, 12:03 PM

If you cannot update your W10, then you may need to install 2018.x version of First. Old versions can be found from Avid Download Center.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:16 PM

Honestly, it sounds like your system has some underlying issues that might need to be resolved before you can run Pro Tools. If you can’t update Windows, I would start with the Windows Update Troubleshooting Tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ion=Windows_10

Once your system seems stable, then I would reinstall Pro Tools and try running it.

System Details