Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2021, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Avid proves yet again how useless they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
M1 Compatible means Apple Silicon native, but PT is only "Big Sur Compatible" and in case I am not mistaken only supported on Intel hardware.
Sorry man but they promoted M1 compatibility in the initial email and still on the "What's New" page:

"Pro Tools adds support for M1 Macs

With the June 2021 release, you can now run Pro Tools | First, Pro Tools, and Pro Tools | Ultimate as well as Pro Tools | Carbon systems on the latest Macs that use Apple’s new M1 silicon processors."

On July 1 they sent out an additional email stating it ran under Rosetta and listed some of the limitations. But that was a week after it was released.

I'm not trying to be petty but this was a big blunder easily avoided.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:33 PM

Default Avid proves yet again how useless they are

"Can run" does not mean "Apple Silicon Native". I have already seen transition from 68k to PPC and then were in PT beta team during PPC to Intel, we are not there yet with Apple Silicon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2021, 01:23 PM

While we are talking about Avid people being useless: 4k displays became available in 2012. Nine years later, in 2021 Pro tools still doesn't support 4k. This started to get ridiculous somewhere around 2016. Now it's just sad. But hey, at least they are "working on it"!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:54 PM

4K in ProTools ? What For ? HD video isn't enough for sound editing and mixing ?
Old 07-21-2021, 12:51 AM

In case that was not sarcasm: Not talking about video playback, but support for 4k displays in general. UI scaling and responsiveness.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:55 AM

UI scaling works very well on macOS, have no idea about Windows
Old 07-21-2021, 05:11 AM

Protone, you can't display ProTools GUI on a UHD/4K display ?
That's really strange.

Which OS, graphic card, display ?

And it was not sarcasm, I thought you we're talking about the movie file, not the GUI. So many movie sound has been made with SD video files...
Old 07-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalou View Post
Protone, you can't display ProTools GUI on a UHD/4K display ?
That's really strange.
I didn’t say I can’t. But it is laggy and unresponsive on my system (mac book pro 16” i9, also tried with eGPU) especially with sessions that have lots of tracks/clips. But anyway, I don’t want to hijack this thread and discuss the details of the issue. Let’s just say that I have tried pretty much everything, and only solution avid support offered was that I should move to hd monitors since protools is not officially supporting 4k.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
6 months after Mac M1 released, you release a new version of pro-tools, without making the video engine silicon compatible.
And you don't make sure your install app checks to make sure it's compatible.

And then, when I go to download the older version, its taking an hour to download.

You people are truly useless, aren't you.
You complain a LOT for a guy who has been lucky enough to make an excellent living USING Avid Products everyday. (Just my 2¢)
Old 07-29-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protone View Post
I didn’t say I can’t. But it is laggy and unresponsive on my system (mac book pro 16” i9, also tried with eGPU) especially with sessions that have lots of tracks/clips. But anyway, I don’t want to hijack this thread and discuss the details of the issue. Let’s just say that I have tried pretty much everything, and only solution avid support offered was that I should move to hd monitors since protools is not officially supporting 4k.
I am using a 4K TV with a MacBook Pro 2019 i9 in clamshell mode and it works great for me. I haven't experienced any lagginess, etc. Other than the lagginess and unresponsiveness that you experience, what would official 4K support bring? Genuinely curious.