Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Partner Announcements

Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Default NEW PLUGIN: UNDERTONE, a fill generator for dialogue editors and much, much more

Undertone is a semi-random ambience and texture generator, sound multiplier and drone maker, based on granular and convolution synthesis.

A revolution for dialogue editors: easily create realistic and living backgrounds to fill your editing in just a few seconds.
The sound is evolving and dynamic and always very close to the source, thanks to our highly customised granular engine.
With just a few hundred milliseconds of sound, it is possible to create constant tones and dynamic backgrounds: rain, wind, traffic, constant and evolving noises, it just works.

Multiple sound sources can be used at the same time to create even more complex backgrounds and textures.

Undertone is also a powerful tool for sound designers and musicians: up to 10 samples are randomly selected by our granular engine to create drones and realistic backgrounds, complex soundscapes and dynamic sound design, from mono to 7.1.2.

Check the overview on Youtube and visit our website for more information

We’re offering an introductory sale price of 139 Euro (tax excluded). Full price is 199 Euro (tax excluded).
A 15-days trial is available.

Davide Favargiotti
Audiokids
www.audiokids.it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Undertone Single HQ Twitter.jpg (43.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Re: NEW PLUGIN: UNDERTONE, a fill generator for dialogue editors and much, much more

This plugin works!

I was lucky enough to be an early tryout for Davide and his crew's stellar work on Undertone.

If you work with Dialogue, need to create real sounding fills when you've only got slivers of material, or just are not satisfied with a static background fill then Undertone is awesome.

My 2c
Old 09-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Default Re: NEW PLUGIN: UNDERTONE, a fill generator for dialogue editors and much, much more

How does it compare to the Ambience Match module in RX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ambience match is cool but produces a static fill. With Undertone you can create a blend of granular and convolution (steady state) fill or purely one or the other.

This means you can take sections of clean movement or unique background (say crickets or traffic roar) and then blend yourself a unique random changing fill that matches in really nicely with real production sound. You know the stuff I mean here, when a static fill does not sit tidy with natural movement on Lavs or boom during say a walk and talk scene.

Just try it out. You'll understand it more once you've tried it. The granular synthesis is a great tool.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I think Undertone and Ambience Match are slightly different beasts.

I see Ambience Match as a fantastic tool to fix the dialogue, and to "patch" the spectrum.

Undertone has more options and it is specifically designed to generate backgrounds and textures, it is more like a synth; you can create much more complex ambiences, not only straight fill.
And also simple dialogue fills can be generated from different part of (different) recordings. Or you can add occasional sounds to add variations or activity.
And it can do much more than that.

We will be posting more tutorials in the coming weeks on our Youtube channel.

But yes, you should try it by yourself.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM

Day 1 with the plugin and its already a part of the dialog workflow. Like other ambience matching plugins, it isn't always a hit, but the fill's are definitely way more organic due to the granular nature. Got a scene with crickets tomorrow so that's going to be fun to try out.

Dieffe - would it be possible to have handles on the rendered ambiences? I always find myself selecting less than the space required and need a tiny bit more for the correct crossfade length. As of now Protools only allows 'continuous file' option in Audiosuite, with no handles.

Best,

Ayush
Old 09-23-2020, 03:37 PM

It sounds like a good idea. RX Ambience Match is great but doesn´t create fills based on the real backgrounds, like birds, sea etc.

Went to the website but I was a bit disappointed as there are no demos using the plugin in a real editing scenario to show how it sounds when recreating fills for common backgrounds....

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 09-23-2020, 03:55 PM

Thank you again for trying Undertone!
Yes, the render quality depends on a lot of factors, and also you need to spend a bit of time with Undertone to understand the possibilities and nuances of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush Ahuja View Post
Dieffe - would it be possible to have handles on the rendered ambiences? I always find myself selecting less than the space required and need a tiny bit more for the correct crossfade length. As of now Protools only allows 'continuous file' option in Audiosuite, with no handles.
I would love to have them too!
We would love to add support for handles: unfortunately there is a technical issue that prevent to disable handles on capture (because you want to capture only your selection, not the surrounding areas). And there's also no way of knowing how long the handles are set, so we can't just 'drop' that time from the captured buffer.

That said, were looking into some workarounds that we may enable for ‘pro’ users… So.. We’re working on it, as we want to have that feature too!

Davide
Old 09-23-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
It sounds like a good idea. RX Ambience Match is great but doesn´t create fills based on the real backgrounds, like birds, sea etc.

Went to the website but I was a bit disappointed as there are no demos using the plugin in a real editing scenario to show how it sounds when recreating fills for common backgrounds....
There are some tutorials on our youtube channel: one of those shows a very simple setup for "background replacement"
Also the dialogue editing teaser (on our Youtube channel, it is called "Teaser 2") is a real world situation: Undertone replaced the rain using a short sample of that same take.
That said, more tutorials will come in the following weeks.

If there is enough interest we may also do streaming presentation in the future.

But the best way to know if it works for you, is to try Undertone by yourself, we offer a 15 days demo.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Davide