Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 08-27-2021, 09:49 PM

Default How to route Carbons analogue inputs to ADAT outs

Hi there.

Just experimenting with using a Carbon as an extra interface via ADAT to another interface. How do I route the Carbons line and mic ins to its ADAT outs? I cant seem to see any routing in Audio MIDI setup.

I have managed to slave the Carbon to a Symphony correctly, but cannot seem to get the Carbons analogue inputs sent to its ADAT outs.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2021, 04:56 AM

Default Re: How to route Carbons analogue inputs to ADAT outs

I'm happy to be corrected by someone who knows bettter, but I don't think this is possible. Unlike the UA Apollos, there is no separate application for controlling the Carbon - everything you do has to be done inside Pro Tools. This has many advantages, but the downside is that you can't control it as an independent device.

Maybe there's some clever workaround, but I don't know what it is. I wanted to use the ADAT out as a 2-channel main output for listening to records through Audirvana (connecting my RME ADI-2 Pro to it) but couldn't find a way.

Dominic
Old 08-28-2021, 08:24 AM

Maybe Rogue Amoebas Loopback can help you. It allows audio routing system wide.

Best

Mark
Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 AM

What is the other interface? Carbon was not designed to do this(but that doesn't mean it can't.....yet). Carbon WAS designed to accept ADAT from another device, and given the DSP is inside Carbon, that would be how I would run it. Using it as an ADAT device defeats the main purpose of having the DSP and turns it into a seriously over-priced lightpipe preamp

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-28-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What is the other interface? Carbon was not designed to do this(but that doesn't mean it can't.....yet). Carbon WAS designed to accept ADAT from another device, and given the DSP is inside Carbon, that would be how I would run it. Using it as an ADAT device defeats the main purpose of having the DSP and turns it into a seriously over-priced lightpipe preamp

And this is what I forgot to write…
Old 08-28-2021, 10:46 AM

The other interface is an Apogee Symphony.

I know it defeats the purpose of Carbon, but the Apogee is rigged in with looms etc and it would have just been useful to stick the Carbon in an as external interface and use through ADAT from time to time.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:58 AM

Why wouldn't you use it the other way around!? Use Symphony to send ADAT to the Carbon!? I have been using Apogee interfaces like this since the ADAT-Bridge was introduced with MIX/HD and HDX systems. Currently using an Apogee AD16X to send all my Mic-Pre's in to the Carbon.
Using the Carbon as an add-on interface seems like a total waste of money.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:49 PM

I've since this. You just use PT to route. I used to do this with HD from time to time to use 192s with another DAW and interface. It works great.

You do need another DAW running, though.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:02 AM

I just got my Carbon a few days ago (and I'm loving it), so I haven't tried this, but I was gonna suggest the same thing as Matt:

Make a new PT session and in the mix window's inputs and outputs, route the Carbon's 8 LINE INs to ADAT 1-8 (at 44/48K) [or ADAT 1-4 and ADAT 9-16 (at 88/96K)]. Essentially, you're using Pro Tools as a software router/mixer for Carbon. Put all the tracks in DSP mode and record enable or input monitor them all. That should give you near-zero latency routing of the internal mic pres to the ADAT outs at any sample rate the Carbon supports.

My thought was to use my laptop to route Carbon, then use my main Studio Mac Pro to record with my Lynx Aurora 16 (n) via TB. This would allow me to record 24 inputs at 88/96K, which Carbon won't allow. (It will allow 24 inputs at 44/48). I wouldn't get the advantage of Carbon's zero-latency monitoring, but at least it's a workaround to record 24 channels at 88/96 K.

Luckily, you should have at least 2 licenses of ProTools in your account, with the current promo (free Ultimate license). That's one license for ProTools to route Carbon, and another to run PT on the recording rig. Alternately, record into a different DAW.

My remaining question is whether PT (routing Carbon via AVB) could run on the same computer simultaneously as another DAW (recording audio via TB).

Hope this works and hope this answer helps.
Late 2013 Mac Pro (trashcan), 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB, Startup disk SSD 512. OSX 10.15.7, Pro Tools 2022.10. Carbon (AVB), Lynx Aurora 16(n) (Thunderbolt)