Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Default 1 keyboard/monitor, 2 computers.. 1mac 1 pc..

We currently have two work stations. 1 HD3 in a mac and 1 pc for lots of other stuff. Each has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. We are building another room next to the current room and will sometimes need to swap systems. What I would like to do is centralize the computers and just switch out the keyboard, monitor, and mouse connections from the different rooms depending on the session and computer requirements. The question is has anybody had any luck with one keyboard and a switcher? I'm familiar with the gefen stuff. What I'm concerned about is the keyboard commands that are different from pc to mac. Am I better off with the master keyboards on each workstation being mac or pc? Also, are there any solutions other than gefen? The box that appears to work is $1700.00. We can buy a new mac, pc, and monitors for each room at that price. Are these guys high or something?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:41 PM

Default Re: 1 keyboard/monitor, 2 computers.. 1mac 1 pc..

Check this out

I've used there stuff for two macs at the same time and it worked great.

There prices are more of what I think you'd like.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:07 PM

I've got a Mac/PC network in my studio that has been working quite efficiently for the past few years. Basically I control 2 9600's, a dual processor G4, and a Wintel PC that are in a machine room from my control room.

All I did was go to my local computer accessories vendor and order a set of switch boxes for the conections I needed to make. Cost was about $100 for all the parts and, as long as you don't make the cable runs too long, it works fine. Only caveat is that you cannot run the PC from a Mac keyboard so you'd have to have a space for two keyboards.

Yes, a KVM approach is more elegant (and might be more appropriate for you considering that you want to be able to control your CPUs from either room), but you may want to research the manaul switch possibility. It's cheap and it seems to work.

Good Luck.

Taylor
Old 04-05-2003, 09:21 PM

DITTO for Dr. Bott

great prices and better service, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

later,
C
Old 04-06-2003, 07:37 AM

The Dr. Bott stuff looks to be much better priced. Although I don't see a product that will do exactly what we need. Their switchers seem to be for one keyboard, monitor, and mouse for two-four computers. We need to switch two sets between two computers. Basically being able to swap computers by just switching the cables at the computers and leaving the keyboards, monitors, and mice where they are. Do you guys use a pc keyboard to control both the mac and pc. Or can the mac keyboard run the pc also?