Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Download 8.0 failed, and no tech support

I paid my $149 last night to download 8.0 and treceived an authorization code.

The download comes with a download manager which you are required to use. I installed it and started the download, which was going just fine.

Ack! I ran out of disk space so the download stopped. I went to my disk and emptied the recycle bin and dumped the temporary files. Now I have enough room for two downloads.

Unfortunately, the download manager said "FATAL ERROR" and will not pickup the download from where it left off. I soon realized I had no choice but to try to start over, so I tried to start the download again, - but it said" your activation code has alrady been used, you cannot download this product again"

WTF? I thought a download manager was supposed to manage your download. This one didn't and there is no one at Tech Support to pick up the phone until Monday.

Can I just say how frustrating this is. I have already paid and I want my software. How hard would it bee for digi to have one person around to help out someone like me. I can't believe they don't do tech support on weekends. Do you most of your recording 9-5 on weekdays?

Does anyone have any ideas other than wait until Monday? The site keeps say ing "absolutely no refunds" but in this case I could just purchase the product again and get a refund for the failed download - if they weren't so adamant about "no refunds - ne exceptions." It seems a bit selfish to me for them to say "no refunds" even in cases where the download manager obviously screwed up.

Has anyone ever contacted paid tech support and then not been charged for it because it was obvious the problem should have been covered by the company?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Download 8.0 failed, and no tech support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates View Post
Do you most of your recording 9-5 on weekdays?
More like 9 to 9 for most around here, 7 days a week...Except Sunday for me..that is reserved for the Lord and/or Football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates View Post
Has anyone ever contacted paid tech support and then not been charged for it because it was obvious the problem should have been covered by the company?
Nope

I would've recommended you check your temp file folder, but you probably already deleted its contents to make space for your download. A lot of times with almost all downloads I've seen, the computer has already received the entire file but gives a warning anyway (but don't take my word for it, I seem to have some outstandingly special computer related stories compared to everyone else)

If you haven't then check there, or see if the part of the file you already downloaded isn't indeed the full thing..worth a shot
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 AM

No - actually the Dig store web site is pretty sad when it comes to customer support. I finally fond a phone number for sales to call (even that wasn't easy) and they took my information and said they will forward it to Customer Support. Most likely I won't hear back until Monday.

Very frustrating. I work all week and do my music on weekends. To tell me they will help me on Monday morning is like saying I will have to wait another week, meanwhile I sit here twiddling my thumbs when I could be working on the software I have already paid for.

The Digi store needs better customer support. They have plenty of order takers on duty - why not just 1 customer support person?

FYI: the download quit at 55% - but I have a file in the folder where I was saving it that looks like it is the proper 3.4 GB, but it has the extensions .zip.dlm. ( I assume that means DownLoanManager). Anyway, I tried stripping off the dlm to see if I could unzip it, but it says it is not a valid zip file. It may look that big, but I don't think it is.

What kind of a "download manager" wouldn't warn that you don't have enough disk space for the file before you start? There are a lot of things I could have cleared off ahead of time if I had known.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Hey cruisemates,

I had problems with the download as well, finally DTS saw my post and got me set up with a download thru DigiDelivery. That's the only thing that worked for me. Sorry it doesn't help you right now but it's something to ask Digi about when you do speak to them.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Just download it again, the link is in your My Digi page with the Registered Downloads.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeekzine View Post
Just download it again, the link is in your My Digi page with the Registered Downloads.
Correct, go to www.digidesign.com/mydigi
And your downloads (and PTLE 8 authorization code) should be available by clicking on "View All" next to Registered Downloads.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 AM

You guys are cute, "just download it again" - Of course I tried that. I got the message "your authorization code to download this file has already been used once and cannot be used again" No Joy There!

Now, I know it doesn't make sense, if you buy a program you should be able to download as much as you want - you own it. But no, not with their download manager. It is kind of snarky of them, I hate to say, especially considering I can't even resolve this issue until next week.

Its really pointless, theorhetically, since once I have the file I could theorheatically do whatever I want with it, and if I had the disks that would be even easier.

I don't care in DD wants to do this, though. I understand wanting to protect your IP. Just don't make it impossible for a paying customer with a good history to get a resolution when the download fails - that is just bad service.

Anyway - FYI: I just re-purchased the download on a different credit card and will cancel the first order when they get back to me. I was reticent to do this because they say "NO REFUNDS ON DOWNLOADS" everywhere, but I chose to take that chance. After all, I am not up to no good, I am just trying to get what I paid for. Also "sales" said that they do issue refunds, He didn't guarantee it, but it seems like a reasonable request to me when the only option is waiting until wednesday.

Besides, I noticed myfirst card had not been charged by Digi yet, so maybe they don't even process them until the download is complete.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

You can only use the Activation Code that you recieved when you purchased one time. Once you have entered the activation code, the downloads are then available in your My Digi account.

If you click on the "Compatibility & Upgrades" link at the top of the forum, then on "Pro Tools LE for Windows Compatibility & Upgrade Information", you'll see this:
Quote:
You can return to your Pro Tools 8 downloads at any time after purchase and activation by logging into your My Digi account. Click on "View All Downloads" under "Registered Downloads" in your My Digi account AFTER activation has been completed. If you do not see your Pro Tools LE 8 authorization code along with your downloads, check the top of your My Digi home page to make sure you do not have any Unused Activation Codes.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
You can only use the Activation Code that you recieved when you purchased one time. Once you have entered the activation code, the downloads are then available in your My Digi account.

If you click on the "Compatibility & Upgrades" link at the top of the forum, then on "Pro Tools LE for Windows Compatibility & Upgrade Information", you'll see this:
That is nice that information is clear at the bottom of the screen on that page, about 3000 words from the top. Just so you know, I did just try this and I was able to access the download. A nice big entry on the FAQ - "WHAT TO DO IF YOUR DOWNLOAD FAILS" would be nice.

I DID exactly the same thing you just said twice last night and once this morning and - logging in to my account again and trying to download the software again- and both times it said "your activation has already been used to download this file, please contact customer support." It didn't say "read this" or "go HERE and log in again" - it said "contact customer support" which distinctly says there is no other way to solve this problem.

I left a message with tech support through the contact form, Furthermore I called tech support (closed until Monday) and then I spoke to the sales department twice. Neither one of them told me what you just wrote. They both told me they would have to contact tech support for me and I would have an answer on Monday.

Excuse me if I fume just a little bit, but I spent two hours downloading last night and another four hours today. I am still waiting for this download I should have had installed by now.

I'm sorry. but I'm not a Digidesign webmaster mind reader. I am a webmaster, though, and know a good design when I see one.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That is nice that information is clear at the bottom of the screen on that page, about 3000 words from the top.
The same information is also near the top of the actual upgrade page on the DigiStore:
Pro Tools LE 8 Upgrade

Just below where the size of the downloads are listed.

Quote:
Just so you know, I did just try this and I was able to access the download. A nice big entry on the FAQ - "WHAT TO DO IF YOUR DOWNLOAD FAILS" would be nice.
I agree completely, and will make that suggestion to the folks that manage the store. More importantly, it also should be clearer at the point where a download fails as to what to do, so that someone in your situation is not left trying to guess what they should do.