Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Avid

Default Re: # of Voices per DSP Problem

Quote:
For what it's worth, I just tried using 4 dsp's for 64 voices (2 dsp's on core and 2 dsp's on process) This still resulted in the same clicking problem....however, after 10 seconds of playback I got the spinning wheel then a (-9162) error. After the spinning wheel supsided, I hit play again and I got this message (DAE was unable to communicate with the audio hardware. Please save your session and restart your computer. (-6039)

Don't know what that tells us.
Yeeesh, what a pain!

these errors point to a serious problem in the PCI chain.....

I'd next suggest to remove the chassis from the equation. Can do? HD Core and 1 Process inside your cpu?

If that doesn't help, then try removing the Sync I/O. We need to strip this down to the basics.

Also, are using a PCI Firewire card by any chance?

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 01-11-2005, 02:19 PM

I'm using a powerbook/expansion chassis combo here, as mentioned in my top post. I recently went through the process of rebuilding the magma 4-slot expansion chassis I'm using. It too is out of warranty. Replaced the cardbus adapter, the expansion cable (got the new HD version), 4 slot backplane and expansion host adapter. The only other thing left in the box was the power supply and the load resistor...And a couple of Hard Drives. (BTW I don't use a pci firewire card. I just mount the HD's and the granite digital FW bridge in the chassis and run a FWv cable to the PBook) Had all new parts in this thing and the problem (a different one than we are working on here) went away....but this new problem arose.

You are probably wondering what the original problem was. Here goes, when recording in to ProTools, I would get small ticks/waveform offsets (mabe one or two every couple minutes) that were printed into the track. After tons of Core and Process card testing, I was able to isolate the problem to the expansion chassis. So with Magma's help, I was able to carefully rebuild the PCI setup. I was able to isolate the problem to something in the Expansion Card inside the chassis (the one the 1.5 meter HD exp. cable attaches to) So I was able to fix that problem, I can finally record without printing these digital errors.

That brings us to where we are now.

Can the PCMCIA slot in a powerbook go bad? This thing is about 15months old. Has been treated well. The Apple Diagnostic test says everything is cool.

I'll try setting my system up again in this Quicksilver 867 G4 tower my sister loaned me.

I'm so tired of this. I just wanna make music...I'm sure you've heard that wine many a time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

MacPro 12core 2.66Gh Westmere
OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
2x HD i/o 16x16, 1x Digi192 8in/16out
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 01-11-2005, 02:25 PM

Also, I tried taking the Sync i/o out of the system. No change. ugh!

Could installing PT6.7 be of any help, as it is actually a PT version that supports use of a cardbus expansion chassis?

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Also, I tried taking the Sync i/o out of the system. No change. ugh!

Could installing PT6.7 be of any help, as it is actually a PT version that supports use of a cardbus expansion chassis?
Yes! Install 6.7. We never announced support for the 4-slot cardbus chassis in 6.4.

I now suspect the cable to/from the chassis. Certainly check out the 867 - this would be the true test of the chassis being the culprit.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 01-12-2005, 06:37 AM

[/QUOTE]

I now suspect the cable to/from the chassis. Certainly check out the 867 - this would be the true test of the chassis being the culprit.

-tv

[/QUOTE]

I'm using a brand new Magma Expansion Cable, the 1.5m HD model. New and improved blah blah blah. It seems to offer no improvement over my original cable, just nicer connectors and more expensive.

I'm still running my system off the powerbook and expansion...gotta finish a mix. Got a couple of hangs last night. This particular session is about 40+ tracks and I use almost all the processing power of the HD cards. Every now and again I'd get a DAE ran out of time error. Try increasing hte number of voices in your playback engine......

Will be dropping the core and process card in a G4 powermac today for anothe rround of tests.

ss

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 AM

Just ran some test with the core and first process card. Put them both in a G4 867 Quicksilver, OS 10.3.7 / PT6.4cs9. Played back a stack of test tones I've been using for these tests. Played perfectly. Used 4 DSP's for 64 voices....no problem, 2 DSP's for 96 voices, 3 DSP's etc...not a hitch. Was not able to recreate the crackling I got when spreading the PT voices across multiple DSPs/cards while using the Magma 4slot expansion chassis and my powerbook.

So that pretty much tells us that the problem is in my expansion chassis huh?

I've already swapped out all available parts...4 slot PCI backplane, Host Expansion Card, Expansion HD cable, Carbus Adapter....all new! The only thing that is original is the powersupply, the load resistor and the case. I even put new fans in there as the originals were getting a little noisey.

Ideas?

ss

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 01-12-2005, 08:57 AM

Are you conforming to these track count/SR guidelines?

Performance - Track counts at DAE Buffer Setting 4

90 tracks @48K (2 slot chassis)
88 tracks @48K (4 slot chassis)
48 tracks @96K
16 tracks @192K

also be sure to use at least 3 FW drives on a session with more than 48 disk tracks at 48k (24 tracks per drive). Double the number of drives if you work at 96k. What's this about your FW drives being mounted in the chassis? Do you mean you are simply *racking* them in the chassis?

hope this helps,
~turbo
Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 AM

Yes, I have raw ATA drives that are simply mounted inside the chassis attached to a granite digital fw400 bridge. Then I mounted firewire sockets in the empty pci plate (4th slot). They attach to the laptop via one FW400 cable.

Yes I understand those guidelines you quoted. My problem has nothing to do with track count. It has to do with voice allocation across multiple DSP chips in the playback engine setup. If I only use 1 DSP for 48 voices(core card DSP)...all is cool. If I use 2 DSP's for 32, 48, or 64 voices(1 DSP on core card and 1 DSP on 1st process card) I get all kinds of crackling....even if I'm only using one of those voices. (Playing back a test tone, for example.)

Thanks for the thought though.

ss

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 AM

if theres's an option to connect the chassis to the desktop..then try that...that would rule out the chassis if the cards pass...and what you would be looking at is a bad or uncompatible pcmia port on the laptop or a bad pcmia card

good luck
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 AM

With the cards back in the Magma 4 slot exp chassis, I plugged the PCMCIA card into my old TiBook G4 500mhz. Opened up my test tone session and was able to reproduce the pops and clicks that I get from playback using 2 DSP's for voice allocation (1 core and 1 process) I'm running PT6.2.3 on this system.

I'd say that this rules out the possibility of a damaged PCMCIA slot in the powerbook G4 1.25Ghz that I normally use in this setup.

Hey SessionKat, any other ideas before I have plop down a chunck for a new exp. chassis?

Thanks

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7