Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-15-2021, 05:41 PM

Default Carbon Quality Preamps

hi guys!
i got a carbon and now i'm trying to compare with my latest setup: symphony 2x6 + la610 + isa430.
i can't notice a big difference in quality between the carbon preamps and the ones that i have.
i'm thinking in getting rid of symphony + analog preamps and stay only with carbon.
what do you think?

thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2021, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Carbon Quality Preamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogomusique View Post
hi guys!
i got a carbon and now i'm trying to compare with my latest setup: symphony 2x6 + la610 + isa430.
i can't notice a big difference in quality between the carbon preamps and the ones that i have.
i'm thinking in getting rid of symphony + analog preamps and stay only with carbon.
what do you think?

thanks in advance
Carbon. They’re good. Really good. I have a tree audio branch tube channel for super gourmet things, but the Carbon pres are just as useful at times.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
hi guys!
what do you think?

thanks in advance
Well I have not used my A Designs MP2A since getting the carbon if that says anything ... Or perhaps I am just being lazy

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-20-2021 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:00 PM

Yes, darkwo. I'm actually thinking in keep quality with more convenient workflow. Thanks!
K Roche I hope you're not missing your A Designs

Best for you!
Old 09-19-2021, 07:56 PM

Once you get past threshold of good enough you cannot hear a difference. There are a lot of documented blind tests out there suggesting you should not worry so much about AD/DA quality unless you plan to use external hardware extensively. Another blind tests say a bad 192kHz converter sounds worse than a god 48kHz converter.

The preamps however, they are either "clean" or made to color the sound in some way. what is "good" for you depends on your priorities. There are many colours available, and some aim for absolutely clear representation of the signal. I myself usually use Focusrite ISA preamps which are on the clean side, being characterised as "neutral" but still have something that says they are worth their price.

As in everything, the closer to the source you go you get bigger gains. Make a better song, find a better artist, have a better day for recording, use a better mic... never worry about the quality of the mic cable so long as it is good enough.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Once you get past threshold of good enough you cannot hear a difference. There are a lot of documented blind tests out there suggesting you should not worry so much about AD/DA quality unless you plan to use external hardware extensively. Another blind tests say a bad 192kHz converter sounds worse than a god 48kHz converter.

The preamps however, they are either "clean" or made to color the sound in some way. what is "good" for you depends on your priorities. There are many colours available, and some aim for absolutely clear representation of the signal. I myself usually use Focusrite ISA preamps which are on the clean side, being characterised as "neutral" but still have something that says they are worth their price.

As in everything, the closer to the source you go you get bigger gains. Make a better song, find a better artist, have a better day for recording, use a better mic... never worry about the quality of the mic cable so long as it is good enough.
Thanks, Janne!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, darkwo. I'm actually thinking in keep quality with more convenient workflow. Thanks!
K Roche I hope you're not missing your A Designs

Best for you!
Oh I still have it in my rack just have not used it ..... and no have not missed it

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-20-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Oh I still have it in my rack just have not used it ..... and no have not missed it
I spoke in the sense of missing. you didn't use it because you didn't miss the quality/characteristic sound of it.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I spoke in the sense of missing. you didn't use it because you didn't miss the quality/characteristic sound of it.
Ah OK , and yes ,correct not missing its sound perhaps because it is on the uncolored side of tube pre amps ?
Now I have not A/B'ed it directly to the Carbons pre's for any particular sound coloration difference....

BUT I did A/B to Carbons pre's for self noise, and found (prototypical to tubes) The MP2A did have a tiny bit more self noise,,,, but honestly only with gain jacked way up and not enough that you would actually notice in real world application with a decent signal going through it and normal gain .........

And given in my work flow as far as mic's, I use a pair of AEA phantom powered ribbons for recording acoustic and electric guitar, and a tube 251 style LDC for vocals so they introduce as much color as I am after in my recordings ,,, which isn't much ...

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-20-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Ah OK , and yes ,correct not missing its sound perhaps because it is on the uncolored side of tube pre amps ?
Now I have not A/B'ed it directly to the Carbons pre's for any particular sound coloration difference....

BUT I did A/B to Carbons pre's for self noise, and found (prototypical to tubes) it did have a tiny bit more self noise,,,, but honestly only with gain jacked way up and not enough that you would actually notice in real world application with a decent signal going through it and normal gain .........

And given in my work flow as far as mic's, I use a pair of AEA phantom powered ribbons for recording acoustic and electric guitar, and a tube 251 style LDC for vocals so they introduce as much color as I am after in my recordings ,,, which isn't much ...
Nice!