Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Field Recorder Match Criteria Scene/Take mismatch

Hello,

Following an other thread regarding loss of clip gains while trying to use the Match Criteria Function of ProTools (12.8.2), i have an other issue on a project i have to conform from editing.

So i need to conform an AAF export coming from Avid editing and containing recorder mixdown tracks to sync all recorder files.
I already did this with the Filed Recorder Guide Track and Match Criteria function with success (except for Clip Gains indeed).
But on this project this is not working. Recorder is a Cantar on V2.44

When i import the AAF i can see in workspace that Scene and Take metadatas are still here. Timecode is there too and Sound Roll.
When i look at the Cantar files, Scene, Take and Timecode are there too and in the exact same format as the AAF files. Just "Sound roll" metadata is on "Tape" place but this is not a problem as the Match Criteria allows to match "Sound Roll name to Tape Name".

My problem is, if i check Scene/Take metadatas in the match criteria window, Pro Tools can't find anything matching. If i remove this criteria it works with only Timecode and the "Sound Roll Name to Tape Name". But it could be an issue if for some reason i get different Cantar files with same Timecode and Tape names. So i would prefer to understand why the Scene Take metadatas are not working here. I also noticed that if i open the files with WaveAgent, only the Cantar files are showing Scene/Take, while AAF files have these metadatas empty.. But ProTools Workspace are showing them!

Also could it be related to a format problem because Cantar is using spaces and also letter on take metadata (for example "112 / 1" for Scene and "t 3" for Take).

Thanks if anybody have an idea on this!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Field Recorder Match Criteria Scene/Take mismatch

Hi,

it might be the naming/format convention mismatch. Pretty common issue these days.... check the .aaf clip names. If you see 11/1/3 and your production source file is 11_1-T003 (i.e.), the Field Rec Match function won`t work, simply because the names don`t match.
In such a case, I use EdiLoad, great (slightly expensive) app to fix, rename and move data columns from fu..ed EDLs.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM

Aaton Cantars are great recorders but total nightmares in terms of Soundroll naming and rogue characters in their files.

Often you will find leading or trailing spaces in the roll name data, most modern EDL's will not allow a space and will replace it with underscore "_"

Often ProTools will not even recognise the soundfiles from those badly named Daily folders. My current production's stash of Location Sound Poly Cantar files will only show 2/3 of all the files when I try and create a catalog from them in ProTools. ProTools does not find those missing files when the "Area to search" is pointed towards those files.

In this case the only way to sort this out to get matches to the location sound on expanding tracks, was to make a session that contained all the location files laid onto tracks, and then this can be imported into your session to "seed" the clip bin with all files.

I second EdiLoad.... Swiss-Army knife of EDL management when all things go wrong....
Old 11-16-2017, 04:22 AM

Hi thanks for your answers,

Yes i guess i will have hard time with the Cantar's way of using metadatas...
I found here a way by using Timecode and Sound roll to Tape Name but i'll look deeper about the scene/take naming and the help of EdiLoad which seems great indeed (but expensive.. )

Also i have an issue with "expand to new tracks" function, which copies all parameters of the source track except Clip Gains. Don't know why but it seems to be a common problem. Until Avid decide to implement a pref window letting us choose what we want to copy from source track (i.e. Volumes, Pans, Fades, Clip Gains, Plugins...)? Maybe in ProTools 13
Old 09-05-2021, 05:00 AM

hi Jon, did you find any solutions on this issue? I have exactly the same problem with Cantar / avid / Protools workflow.