Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-04-2023, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresler View Post
Still on the fence about Mac Studio or Mac mini M2 Pro.... any chance I will see a real performance boost?
Cheers.

Luca
So it's early days still with my new Mac. I purchased a refurbished Studio Max M1 with 64GB RAM and 4 terabytes.

I decided to make the move once I saw PT and many AAX plugin manufacturers go to Apple silicon native. My plan is to only run PT in apple silicon mode on this machine. I have become used to some Plugin Alliance plugins that aren't there yet but I have 80% of what I need.

I have not done an apples to apples comparison yet but I will when I swap this into my setup.

So far I find the Studio to be a solid performer. With all new installs I haven't gotten any errors yet. I built a VI session with 10 instruments from Arturia, Kontakt 7, Superior Drummer 3 and Avid. Then I layered on some vocals and guitar tracks. All tracks have at least Fabfilter ProQ3, C2 and Saturn. I added a Master Track with buss processing and a single reverb send.

So nothing crazy but something workable for a singer/songwriter. Its running at 32 buffer with PT meters peaking around 30. According to my activity monitor for the mac my CPU is 77% idle. No pressure on the RAM at all.

I hope that helps. I need to finish a project and then I'll go for the swap and add my HDX card into the mix.

The key here for stability is all fresh installs. No migration of any files whatsoever.

Edit- I forgot to mention, I'm using and EVO 4 interface from Audient.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
The key here for stability is all fresh installs. No migration of any files whatsoever.

So fresh that you would yo also rebuild session templates ?
Old 04-05-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmount View Post
So fresh that you would yo also rebuild session templates ?
I am rebuilding them. I may be going too far but I want this as clean as possible.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.