Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 04-04-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Need advise on how to move forward from MP PT v7.4

HI

Asked a dozen questions here about older versions of PT to see what i have to do if i want to move forward with a copy of M-powered PT v7.4 and a old M audio ozone keyboard.

My 3 main questions are:
1-Does M-Powered Pro tools only work with hardware connected or can it run of my iLok USB key?

2-What is the final version which requires m audio hardware?

3-Is there a upgrade path from m-Powered v7.4 and is it only v12?

Cheers
Old 04-05-2021, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Need advise on how to move forward from MP PT v7.4

This is likely to be a dead end, for a few reasons:
#1-M-Powered only works with M-Audio interfaces, which are pretty much to bottom of the barrel for quality
#2-all modern versions of Pro Tools require iLok(I do NOT recommend the cloud version of iLok except in emergencies)
#3-no old version of PT(M-Powered or regular) is going to work on an old OS or computer.
$3-you are not likely to find any current drivers for old M-Audio stuff(drivers being another weak point of the brand)

If someone is offering this stuff to you, I'd say thanks, but its just too old to use(the keyboard MIGHT work, but I remember hearing of issues).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-05-2021, 09:52 AM

DigiDesign era things (pre PT9) do not have upgrade path, you need to start over
Old 04-05-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is likely to be a dead end, for a few reasons:
#1-M-Powered only works with M-Audio interfaces, which are pretty much to bottom of the barrel for quality
#2-all modern versions of Pro Tools require iLok(I do NOT recommend the cloud version of iLok except in emergencies)
#3-no old version of PT(M-Powered or regular) is going to work on an old OS or computer.
$3-you are not likely to find any current drivers for old M-Audio stuff(drivers being another weak point of the brand)

If someone is offering this stuff to you, I'd say thanks, but its just too old to use(the keyboard MIGHT work, but I remember hearing of issues).
1-The M Powered PT works with M-Audio, they sound better then a number of digi IOS.
2-M powered only comes with a iLok key., its what i have.
3-I think MP-PT V8 is the last version that requires using M audio IOS, after that it does not matter.

Drivers for any IO (Digi 001-002,Mbox etc) to work with PT12 can be found on this site https://www.usb-audio.com/support/

The PT 7.4 works fine on a 2010 iMac here but I can’t use new plugs and any sessions I open in PT 12 trial are then irreversible unless I create stems which won’t happen because older PT did not use wav files, but quality is not the problem, its forced obsoletion but it is what it is.

The answer i was hoping for was a upgrade path or some updates to improve the matter such as best version of OSS, Drivers, CPU etc
Old 04-05-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
DigiDesign era things (pre PT9) do not have upgrade path, you need to start over
ok, i was wondering this because someone else said i should try contacting avid about a upgrade., but i dont see any paths.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:45 PM

Yes, sadly you are late. Should have upgraded to Avid era product on time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, sadly you are late. Should have upgraded to Avid era product on time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what exactly is the last version of pro tools m-powered on iloK, 8?
will i be able to at least update the software in my ilok to the v8 from 7.4?
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...XP%2FVista%2F7.

This is so i can atleast sell the older iMac with my M powered PT rig as a bundle.
I know that most hardware will work with later PT versions, im just trying to see how far the i can keep PT M working on a 2010 iMac running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Last edited by skystudios; 04-06-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:08 AM

Moving from 7.4 to 8 really doesn't buy you much, other than the Creative Collection(MiniGrand,BOOM!, DB-33, etc). Pretty sure there was a version 9 for M-Powered, but there's really no point in going for that. All the M-Powered versions limit you to M-Audio interfaces, while the regular Pro Tools can use those as well as almost everything else under the sun. Then, with the exception of the ProFire 2626, the rest of the M-Audio interfaces from that era were built to be cheap, not good(can't speak for the current crop of hardware, but my advice would be to stay with the bigger players like Presonus, Focusrite, RME, etc).

Back to the software, if you are going for an upgrade, move to PT 11(or newer). That gets you access to all the current crop of AAX64 plugins and VI's. That's an upgrade worth doing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave